K & N Filter Charger (LOUD) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

K & N Filter Charger (LOUD)

Reaction score
City, State
Northern California
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 XLT 4x4 4.0L
Just installed the K & N 57 series FIPK 2 Charger Part Number: K33572537 on my 2002 4.0L.

I have heard smaller cars with intake systems before and I seem to remember the sound being a low tone almost like an exhaust sound.

Mine sounds like a super charger. From inside the cab it sounds like theres a huge shop vac inside my dashboard. When you step on the gas it whistles for a second and also when you release the gas pedal there is a huge release of air. Almost blow off valve sounding.

Kinda cool but has anybody else installed this system and notice the cab noise has sky rocketed?

I also have a magna flow muffler installed. Does the intake raise the DB's of that as well?

There are a lot of users on here with a K&N CAI. I happen to have a Magnaflow catback as well. A full intake is definitely louder than stock. As soon as I installed mine I drove around for about 20 mins just listening to it with a big smile on my face :D I've got a V8 so it's even louder. The factory intake is designed with resonance chambers to help keep it quiet. It's definitely cool to get on it and hear the "VUMP!" of it breathing...

I don't think it'll really do anything as far as sound goes with your exhaust. The engine only takes in as much air as it needs to. It just gets it more efficiently now. I may be wrong though, I installed my catback after my intake so there wasn't a before/after.

I used to own an '87 Mustang LX 5.0 (Vanilla Ice Mobile)

It had the Cervinis Fiberglass ram air hood with the direct sealed fitment to the K & N air box when you shut the hood. It didn't make a sound. Then again maybe I just couldn't hear it over the BBK headers and Glasspacks. I felt like such white trash drivng that car but damn I loved the straight line power.

I wish my X had a V8!

Back