K&N Intake | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

K&N Intake

i don't think i lost milage... (i hope not) i swapped it out after only a week so it would be good to know (i did see around 1-1.5MPG boost on past EX's 03 and 09 with one of these installed)... I guess I'm a little aggressive drives so i may not be the fairest test.
i have i big trip (400Miles each way) i may try it each way just to see if it actually makes any difference.

Yeah, I'm going on a long trip myself. 800 miles each way. My K&N gets here tomorrow via UPS. I hope I see an increase as well. I did with my 2007 Expedition, however, it was only 1 MPG. Then again, I wasn't expecting much from Ford's heaviest SUV.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yeah, I'm going on a long trip myself. 800 miles each way. My K&N gets here tomorrow via UPS. I hope I see an increase as well. I did with my 2007 Expedition, however, it was only 1 MPG. Then again, I wasn't expecting much from Ford's heaviest SUV.

anything to report on yet?

I installed one on my 2004 Explorer when it has around 30000. Drove a couple months and a check engine. Took it to Ford and they said it was a clogged sensor that was caused by the K&N filter and was not covered by warranity. After going around with Ford and K&N my bill was paritally paid by K&N and refunded cost of filter. I could not see any difference in engine performance and milege.

Good news is is spent alot less on gas as compared to my 07 Ford Expedition. Can't say if the K&N had anything to do with it. Remember, I took my family of four, including me and an additional 400 pounds of luggage and other stuff. With a full tank of gas, we left El Paso, Texas at around 4pm, hit the I-10 doing an average of 28 mpg driving at about 60 mph, however, that dropped to about 24 once we approached Deming, New Mexico and going about 70mph. Once we got to Tucson, Arizona, I remember I refueled at a Chevron with $27 bucks. Once we hit the I-10 again, I noticed that gas mileage dropped to about 22 mpg, however, that is understandable as I was driving at about 78 to 80 mph. Due to the elevation, it dropped even further to about 21.8 mpg once we drove passed Phoenix, Az and pretty much stayed there until we reached our destination of Anaheim, California. Total miles for this destination was 803 miles. After spending a few days in California, we continued to Humboldt, Arizona which is another 384 miles from Anaheim. Gas mileage slightly increased to about 23 mpg, again, driving at around 78 to 80 mph. From Humboldt, we headed back to El Paso, Texas adding another 527 miles to the odometer. Total miles for this entire trip was 1,715 miles. I spent approximately $271 on gas on the entire trip. At one point, I paid a least $3.89 for gas somewhere in California.

Did swapping my 07 for my 2012 Explorer make a difference in terms of gas mileage? You better believe it did. I look at it this way. Two years ago, we took the exact trip in our 07 Expedition, except we did NOT stop at Humbloldt, Arizona. Remember, gas back then was around $2.95 a gallon. We traveled approximately 1,610 miles and spent approximately $340 on gas on that entire trip. Need I say more?

I installed one on my 2004 Explorer when it has around 30000. Drove a couple months and a check engine. Took it to Ford and they said it was a clogged sensor that was caused by the K&N filter and was not covered by warranity. After going around with Ford and K&N my bill was paritally paid by K&N and refunded cost of filter. I could not see any difference in engine performance and milege.

It's funny because I called K&N the same day I got the filter. I guess I needed some piece of mind. I asked the guy if they had reports or complaints of MAF sensor's becomming clogged due to oil on the K&N filter. The guy said they have tested hundreds of vehicles and never once has a MAF sensor become clogged due to a K&N filter. Go figure.

I have had the issue of a mass air flow sensor being contaminated from the oil of the K&N. It was Ford that had told me this. I had took my Epedition in for service.

It's funny because I called K&N the same day I got the filter. I guess I needed some piece of mind. I asked the guy if they had reports or complaints of MAF sensor's becomming clogged due to oil on the K&N filter. The guy said they have tested hundreds of vehicles and never once has a MAF sensor become clogged due to a K&N filter. Go figure.

Because you expected them to tell you that their product could damage, or otherwise impair the normal function of your vehicle?? :)

Because you expected them to tell you that their product could damage, or otherwise impair the normal function of your vehicle?? :)

Yeah, I don't believe anyone working for the K&N company would suggest otherwise. That's why they're paid the big bucks.

I had to bring in Explorer to the dealership on Friday because the passenger side visor's mirror lid broke. They ordered a new one, however, since I was there I had to ask if they've had any issues with other Ford vehicles brought in for service because of a contaminated MAF sensor. The service advisor said he's been there for 15 years and has never heard of such issues resluting from a K&N filter. He told me he could care less for K&N filters and has never purchased one, but says he has nothing against them either. I told him I installed one recently, he said, "So what, I don't see anything wrong with that?' He said people probably clean them and put so much oil on them afterwords that the filter itself becomes contaminated, therefore, harming the MAF sensor.

Have any of you guys tried a Cold Air Intake? Was looking at K&N's 77 series intake. It looks pretty decent but I'm really curious if there are any real gains in MPG and HP for the money. It does seem like a simple install/mod. Comments?

Don't count on mileage gains with a drop in or an intake kit.
K & N doesn't claim MPG gains either. Keep in mind that any
added HP occurs over 3000 RPM. How often are you there?

http://www.knfilters.com/faq.htm#1

Having tried a lot of different so-called "performance" parts -- along with reading a bunch of related forums -- it seems that the currently accepted belief is that these air filters don't do much by way of increasing power or fuel economy. It seems that the restriction on intake revolves more around air boxes and the like (along with sucking in hot air) than it does with the actual flow of the filter elements... like the only upside is not having to buy new filters with the reusable ones. However, the cleaning / oiling of them is a major PITA and is messy, IMO. Now that some of you are possibly linking it to damage, I think I'll stick with the standard paper filter.

Not saying that you folks are wrong if you're saying you got more MPG or HP... just saying that after researching it and using these products in the past, I'm not convinced so I don't bother.

Stock everything, 72* on the overhead display.

screenshot-13.jpg

Seriously, the stock intake does not suck hot air.

.....He said people probably clean them and put so much oil on them afterwords that the filter itself becomes contaminated, therefore, harming the MAF sensor.

That is the exact problem. You have got to go very light on the oil after a thorough cleaning. Most folks figure if a little is good a lot is better and get way too liberal with the oil, which will of course then contaminate the MAF sensor. I've used a K&N type filter in the Tbird for years, never had a problem with the MAF. But I also spray the MAF sensor with electronics cleaner at the same time I clean the filter. (never touch the sensor, just spray it)

Seriously, the stock intake does not suck hot air.

Good to know. When I said "sucking in hot air" I was speaking more in generalities about various cars and people's switch to CAI tubes and the like, but at least I now know what does and doesn't happen on the Explorer.

I need to get a CAI setup on there and run the same test, as well as an in-fender CAI and run the same. Also the flow rate at throttle with each.

This came in the mail today...

:eek:

20120628_114154.jpg

:D

Wow that looks nice!, where did you buy it from?

Ebay seller, paid around $260

Easy to install.... not in a way im looking to make a horse out of a cow.... but Im liking the improved response and the deep growl, so far I have the magna flow catback and this intake, I wonder if I shoud have the computer reprogrammed to take more advantage of the whole setup.

Ill report back with some inside videos and mpgs info.

decff6204524861.jpg
0d4636204524867.jpg
12ecac204524872.jpg
64df85204524878.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Awesome thanks! I love that look! Let me know how the MPG & Pick up is

Back