• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

K&N Intake

Razziel24

Reaction score
City, State
Guayaquil
Year, Model & Trim Level
Explorer 2012 3.5 V6 Base
One more thing..... for those who have the "smell problem under hard acceleration" on their Explorers, this seems to be the solution, I dont know why.... but after installing this intake, ive been flooring the EX for the past 3 days, and no smell whatsoever.
Thats odd, but im happy with the outcome.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20. Gets rid of the ads!

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

CDN_Explorer

Reaction score
City, State
New Brunswick, Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Ford Explorer LTD
Nice, does this change the growl of your Magnaflow at all? I mean the combination of the two. I always had cars before this Ex and always did these 2 mods amongst others. As much as I love the sound a magnaflow with intake makes, I wouldn't want my SUV to sound like a sports car, I would just like to make it sound more aggressive but in an SUV type of way....if that makes any sense to anyone else...!? I guess a powerful sound vs. a speedy sound (like on a sport car).

wcharon

Reaction score
City, State
Puerto Rico
Year, Model & Trim Level
Explorer Limited 2011
How is the MPG ???? Has it decreased, increased or no difference???

tiresmoke

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2012 Explorer XLT
Nice, does this change the growl of your Magnaflow at all? I mean the combination of the two. I always had cars before this Ex and always did these 2 mods amongst others. As much as I love the sound a magnaflow with intake makes, I wouldn't want my SUV to sound like a sports car, I would just like to make it sound more aggressive but in an SUV type of way....if that makes any sense to anyone else...!? I guess a powerful sound vs. a speedy sound (like on a sport car).
I don't have the K&N on mine, but in the past I've always noticed substantial increase in sound from under the hood with intakes... this is regardless of exhaust.

Razziel24

Reaction score
City, State
Guayaquil
Year, Model & Trim Level
Yes, there is a substantial increase in sound, but Its noticeable just when you floor it, then it turns into a V8 (soundwise), it sounds like a more powerful engine.

Since I have a GoPro ill try making some videos from the inside, thatll give you guys an idea, i do like it, but its not a mod for everyone, if you want a quiet ride.

txaggie

Reaction score
City, State
Plano, Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Ford Explorer
:popcorn:

Ready for the movies!!

flyleclair

Reaction score
City, State
Bath, Pa
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Explorer XLT 4WD
Ebay seller, paid around $260

Easy to install.... not in a way im looking to make a horse out of a cow.... but Im liking the improved response and the deep growl, so far I have the magna flow catback and this intake, I wonder if I shoud have the computer reprogrammed to take more advantage of the whole setup.

Ill report back with some inside videos and mpgs info.

Any updates after a month of use? MPGs any better?

Razziel24

Reaction score
City, State
Guayaquil
Year, Model & Trim Level
slight improvement on MPGs, barely noticeable to be honest.
But I do like the sound, and I feels more powerful, at least on the "butt dyno"

BETEXE

Reaction score
City, State
Calgary
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Explorer Limited
Do you know if it affects the warranty?

pingbling23

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2012 Explorer Limited 4x4
Do you know if it affects the warranty?
the only time an aftermarket part will effect the warranty is if the part can be directly linked to whatever problem/part failure you have. check out the magnuson-moss act.

Fredridge

Reaction score
City, State
Los Angeles, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Explorer
gone

Last edited:

txaggie

Reaction score
City, State
Plano, Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Ford Explorer
Fredridge, can I ask why you removed it?

Thanks.

Fredridge

Reaction score
City, State
Los Angeles, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Explorer
the main reason is I am cleaning out my garage (some life stuff).

the box is huge and took up a lot of room. It had oem intake in it. so I decided to go back to stock and get rid of the k&n

secondarily, it was a little louder than I would have liked.......but that didn't bother me much and wouldn't have swapped it if I wasn't doing some major cleaning.

Fredridge, can I ask why you removed it?

Thanks.

dangerhemi01

Reaction score
City, State
St. Augustine FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Explorer Sport
If you looking for the k&n. I bought the one for the SHO since it fits right up. WCPDiesel.com. $213 free shipping. Still waiting on my sport to arrive but I have the intake sitting on the bench in my garage awaiting a new home..

Azazell64

Reaction score
City, State
Saskatchewan, Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Explorer Sport
I believe this thread is for the 3.5 N/A, not the Ecoboost.

BruceF

Reaction score
City, State
NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
2012 Explorer Base
Do you need a tune when adding the CAI?

txaggie

Reaction score
City, State
Plano, Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Ford Explorer
Video clips with K&N CAI kit installed - UPDATED 7/23

Yesterday I installed the K&N Series 77 CAI kit in my 2013 Explorer Limited. The installation was easy to do and the instructions that came with the kit were very well done. It took about 1.5 hours to completely finish.

There are 6 scenes in the video clip. One of before/after in the driveway just revving the engine. And 2 sets of before/after installation acceleration runs on a highway feeder road.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLrD1HaDgnw

Overall, I am very pleased with the results and the product. The sound is very cool when you get on it. And in normal low rpm driving, it is barely noticeable. It does drone a little at moderate acceleration between 2500-3500 rpms. I can feel the difference between this and the stock setup. ESPECIALLY in the 3-4k range, it pulls much harder in that, and keeps pulling to the redline shift point.

Last edited:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20. Gets rid of the ads!

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

WOLFexplorer

Reaction score
City, State
Massachusetts
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Explorer Limited
nice video you put together. sounds good

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
P DIY: Made my own $60 "true" cold air intake for my 3.5 EB (reduce REUSE recycle). Modified 2011- 2019 Explorers - Tuning & Mods 13
U Does the 2.3 Ecoboost have an intake silencer? Modified 2011- 2019 Explorers - Tuning & Mods 5
E Livernois tuner/intake/3bar MAP for sale Modified 2011- 2019 Explorers - Tuning & Mods 23
Eric F Intake for 3.5 NA Modified 2011- 2019 Explorers - Tuning & Mods 0
M 2017 Explorer sport cold air intake issue Modified 2011- 2019 Explorers - Tuning & Mods 27
Eric F Intake options - 3.5 NA Modified 2011- 2019 Explorers - Tuning & Mods 1
Eltee Grille Swap / Air Intake Alignment Modified 2011- 2019 Explorers - Tuning & Mods 7
C Went from 2013 sport to 2017, change in intake design/noise? Modified 2011- 2019 Explorers - Tuning & Mods 16
T aFe Magnum Force air intake system for 2016 Platinum Modified 2011- 2019 Explorers - Tuning & Mods 27
A Terrible MPG after K&N intake Modified 2011- 2019 Explorers - Tuning & Mods 33
3 2015 Explorer Sport: K&N Cold Air Intake + MagnaFlow Exhaust Modified 2011- 2019 Explorers - Tuning & Mods 7
S AFE Air intake on 2014 Sport - questions Modified 2011- 2019 Explorers - Tuning & Mods 0
F Which cold air intake system is better Modified 2011- 2019 Explorers - Tuning & Mods 41
A Will K&N intake void the stock 36,000 mile warranty? Modified 2011- 2019 Explorers - Tuning & Mods 15
T Video of intake? Modified 2011- 2019 Explorers - Tuning & Mods 0
L Intake Temps and Boost Questions Modified 2011- 2019 Explorers - Tuning & Mods 16
S california legal cold air intake? Modified 2011- 2019 Explorers - Tuning & Mods 6
I First time to the track...livernois 93 tune intake exhaust Modified 2011- 2019 Explorers - Tuning & Mods 18
C Underhood video of Airaid intake and gap Modified 2011- 2019 Explorers - Tuning & Mods 4
G Intake Mod With AirAid Intake Modified 2011- 2019 Explorers - Tuning & Mods 14
J Ecoboost, exhaust, intercooler, intake, meth, and tuning - what more could you want ? Modified 2011- 2019 Explorers - Tuning & Mods 1
J 2013 EX Sport Intake??????? Modified 2011- 2019 Explorers - Tuning & Mods 4
A Injen Intake Question Modified 2011- 2019 Explorers - Tuning & Mods 1
B Injen Intake Installed Modified 2011- 2019 Explorers - Tuning & Mods 37
C Best Cold Air Intake? Modified 2011- 2019 Explorers - Tuning & Mods 9
X Intake for 3.5L non EcoBoost - Coming soon! Modified 2011- 2019 Explorers - Tuning & Mods 56
M Cold Air Intake (CAI) Discussion Modified 2011- 2019 Explorers - Tuning & Mods 328
B Has anyone heard of CGS Motor Sports for Aftermarket Air Intake & Cat Back Systems? Modified 2011- 2019 Explorers - Tuning & Mods 82