keeping cruise with new steering wheel | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

keeping cruise with new steering wheel

bigtigga84

Reaction score
City, State
Georgetown, Delaware
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 sport
has anyone changed out their stock steering wheel for an aftermarket and relocated the cruise buttons on the new steering wheel. i made it a point when i bought my 98ex sport to have cruise, and i don't wanna loose it. The stock steering wheel leather is all fudged up, and it's a little bigger than i like. side not to this, has anyone changed the color of the cruise buttons??

You could always just change out another stock wheel if the leather is scouffed.

I've been thinking about putting the speed cont. on its own switch board maybe under the wheel on the dash long as its not hard to reach. the panel there is thin and its hollow behind it. My wife wants one of those crome racing wheels they sell. I have not looked into what type of circuit that is. you need to see which is a switch and which is a contact. for example you couldnt just toss a regular switch where "set/accel" is if it was a contact switch you car would accel rapidly till the switch turned of.

look at a wiring diagram to see how the controls accually interact w/ the comp. I think you could probably use el cheapo square contact buttons w/ no locking on or off, like the kind on a door buzzer or a game show buzzer.

You probably made the post cause you wanted to go after market too. Your real problem is air bags figure out how to properly disable or move then before you get the puller out.
Some cars cpus do a "hard lock out" if the air bag sys. has any issue.

thanks for the reply, but im having enough electrical issues as it is. im not sure if the sensors in the doors are going bad, if the relay under the dash is goin bad or what. interior light issues, i know there's post on it, but there haven't been any fixes that i can find. oh well, just something i'll have to work on when it warms up, cuz it's to cold now.

Back