• Register Today It's free!

Key fobs

Galaxie mike

Reaction score
City, State
Visalia
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Sport
Hi all. Did 1998 Explorer Sports have key fobs? If so where is the receiver? Thanks Mike

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Many of them (Sports) did not have fobs, though I don't know if it was impossible to order one with it or just not how they typically came equipped from the factory. It's the same receiver "RAP" module that does the keyless entry keypad on the door.

If you do have a keypad on the door, you have this module. You might be able to DIY add the module but you may also not have the wiring harness to its location, which is in the cargo area left side rear behind the trim panel.

There are various topics with pictures of the module and part #, including the following. The wiring harness, you might have to pull off a donor at a junkyard, might be a bit of work to get it all and I'm not sure how it (mechanically) connects at the other end, but it'd be obvious on the donor vehicle.

If you try to add one, there may (or may not ;) ) be wiring diagrams in my sig that show the circuit diagram, but you may not need them if you get enough of the wiring /connectors from the donor vehicle, though it might be a bit of work to do all this.

Many of them (Sports) did not have fobs, though I don't know if it was impossible to order one with it or just not how they typically came equipped from the factory. It's the same receiver "RAP" module that does the keyless entry keypad on the door.

If you do have a keypad on the door, you have this module. You might be able to DIY add the module but you may also not have the wiring harness to its location, which is in the cargo area left side rear behind the trim panel.

There are various topics with pictures of the module and part #, including the following. The wiring harness, you might have to pull off a donor at a junkyard, might be a bit of work to get it all and I'm not sure how it (mechanically) connects at the other end, but it'd be obvious on the donor vehicle.

If you try to add one, there may (or may not ;) ) be wiring diagrams in my sig that show the circuit diagram, but you may not need them if you get enough of the wiring /connectors from the donor vehicle, though it might be a bit of work to do all this.

Thanks for your help. No key pad. I am going to check if I can add the receiver. Mike

Back