• Register Today It's free!

Key stuck in ignition

Don Indallas

Reaction score
City, State
Dallas, Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
2010 Ford Explorer
There were previous posts about the key being stuck in the ignition, and the Explorer not going into park. This happened to my 2010 Explorer. I removed the cover for the shift counsel, and pushed the pin back in, allowing the key to come out and the vehicle to go into park. This has happened 3 times now....... Does anyone know of a permanent fix for this?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Does it have something to do with the park interlock switch ? It's a common issue from what I have heard.

Key stuck in ignition.

It happened again today. A small pin seems to work its way out of place, and thid prevents the shift lever from locking in drive, and from losking in park. When this pin is sticking out, the key won't come out as well as you aren't locked in park. The suv can roll. I can push it back into place, but there must be a permanent fix for this. Thanks for taking an interest in this.

You could try using a dab of superglue to hold the pin in place; just make sure the pin doesn't need to rotate or move to work properly.

Another idea would be to take a small punch and notch the edge of where the pin goes into the hole and that should hold the pin in place.

I'll stick my nose in the area the next time I open it up. I don't know if the pin needs to move in and out to go into other gears. I suspect it needs to move because it isn't already fixed in place.

I have the same problem..the pin needs to move up and down and is what keeps the gear shift from moving without pressing the button. I have tried different things to hold it from sliding side to side with no success. Its not helpful but i feel your pain. the whole part is a $400 part that includes the gear shift unit.

I have the same problem..the pin needs to move up and down and is what keeps the gear shift from moving without pressing the button. I have tried different things to hold it from sliding side to side with no success. Its not helpful but i feel your pain. the whole part is a $400 part that includes the gear shift unit.
Thanks for the reply. The pin moves out much less often now, but I don't know why. It's summer here in Texas, so it's too hot for me to sit in the Explorer outside and tinker with it. Thanks again for the reply.

I wonder if moving the gearshift lever more slowly will keep the pin in place? Not saying you aren't, but just my suggestion.

I wonder if moving the gearshift lever more slowly will keep the pin in place? Not saying you aren't, but just my suggestion.
I've tried moving it slowly, but it still happens. Thanks for the suggestion.

I'm having the very same issue - repeated pin dislocation. Did you ever find a permanent solution?

I have not found any permanent fix for this. It happens about once a month now, and I just have to live with it.

In an unrelated issue, I actually had the ignition key module fall off. Fortunately, I could put it back in and start the viehi9. A small tab on the side had broken off, releasing the module.

In an unrelated issue, I actually had the ignition key module fall off. Fortunately, I could put it back in and start the vehicle. A small tab on the side had broken off, releasing the module.

photo.php

the only permanent fix for this is to replace shifter assembly. we just replaced one on a 2010 down at work. had it apart 3 or 4 times .

I agree and cannot see another way to resolve it permanently. It's been okay for a few days...but that could change the next time he shuts it down.

Thanks for the help on this. I'll be living with this problem for a while in the future, there is only 135,000 onit, and i plan on keepng it! Thanks sgsin.

Thanks for the help on this. I'll be living with this problem for a while in the future, there is only 135,000 onit, and i plan on keepng it! Thanks sgsin.

Ours just turned 50K miles and is having the problem....

Back