Keyless Entry Help | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Keyless Entry Help

DaveyHammer

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 Ford Explorer
Okay, so I'm working on installing a keyless entry system on my 1991 Ford Explorer but the aftermarket keyless entry system instructions give me no help simply wiring diagrams. My main problem at the moment is that it looks as if it shows me how to install The wires but it shows me 2 different ways to do it 1 wire says #87a and the other says #30 but I only have 1 wire coming from each the unlock and lock buttons. So what is number differentiations mean?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome aboard!! :salute:

It sounds like they are talking about terminals on a relay.

RelayWiringGuide.jpg

Terminal #30 is the power source & Terminal #87a is the normally closed terminal.

OK, so does that mean I need to find this relay in my vehicle in order to install the system? I can't just splice into the wires running to the switch on the door panel?

Sorry, Davey. I have no idea how to hook up your particular system. There are several relays just like this.

Without more info, I am at a loss.

OK, what kind of information is needed? I looked for 91 explorer door lock relay locations onliest and can't find anything.
doors_diagram.jpg

That's what my diagram looks like that came with the system. Another user posted a tutorial for his 92 explorer but mentions nothing about relays for the keyless entry.

I assume you already have power door locks. If you don't then this system will not work.

The relays are on the left of your picture, labeled unlock & lock.

Those are the relays for locking and unlocking the doors. You need to find these relays and wire in your system.

Yes I understand that part now. But I can't find those relays. I found some on the rear drivers quarter panel, but none of the wires correspond to the ones coming from the door locks. Shouldn't there be a relay for each lock and unlock? My wiring diagram shows pink/green for lock and pink/yellow for unlock, but those colors aren't near the relays I found. Where else could they be?

You most likely have 1 relay to lock all the doors & 1 relay to unlock all the doors. The relays may be in the junction box under the hood. I don't have wiring diagrams for your year, so I can't help you with that.

Did you look at the door lock switch? It appears that the pink/green is for unlock & the pink/yellow is for lock & it reverses polarity to lock or unlock.

Hopefully some of the 1st Gen guys will chime in soon.

I found this on the web:
WIRING INFORMATION: 1991 Ford Explorer
WIRE WIRE COLOR WIRE LOCATION
12V CONSTANT WIRE YELLOW Ignition Harness
STARTER WIRE PINK (1 OF 2) Ignition Harness
IGNITION WIRE RED/LT. GREEN Ignition Harness
ACCESSORY WIRE GRAY/YELLOW Ignition Harness
POWER DOOR LOCK (5-wire reverse polarity) PINK/YELLOW Harness Coming Into Vehicle From Driver’s Door Or Harness In Driver’s Kick Panel
POWER DOOR UNLOCK (5-wire reverse polarity) PINK/GREEN Harness Coming Into Vehicle From Driver’s Door Or Harness In Driver’s Kick Panel
PARKING LIGHTS (+) BROWN At Light Switch
HEADLIGHTS (+) RED/YELLOW At Light Switch
DOOR TRIGGER (+) BLACK/LT. BLUE At Light Under Dash
REAR HATCH TRIGGER COMMON WITH DOORS
TACHOMETER WIRE TAN/STRIPE or YELLOW/STRIPE Ignition Coil
BRAKE WIRE (+) LT. GREEN At Brake Pedal Switch
HORN TRIGGER (-) YELLOW/LT. GREEN Harness At Column Coming From Steering Wheel
LEFT FRONT WINDOW UP WHITE/BLACK At Driver Window Motor Inside Door
LEFT FRONT WINDOW DOWN YELLOW At Driver Window Motor Inside Door
RIGHT FRONT WINDOW UP RED/BLACK Harness In Driver’s Kick From Driver Door
RIGHT FRONT WINDOW DOWN YELLOW/BLACK Harness In Driver’s Kick From Driver Door

Well yes I found and have those wires labeled but my systems only shows me how to install it at the relays which is why I'm having issues.

I looked at chiltons manual for my vehicle and it has maybe a paragraph about door locks. All I need is the location of the relays and I know what I'm doing. The pink/green and pink/yellow wires do come from the lock/unlock switches but the only relays I've found are in the rear of the vehicle and none of them have pink/green or pink/yellow wires.
Any idea on how to find my relays?

Back