• Register Today It's free!

kicker with kenwood?

DaninCO

Reaction score
City, State
Durango
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 X sport XLT
i was wondering what other subs i could connect to my 2 excelon db12's with just my one amp that would increase the sound dramatically? I hear people recomend the kicker solar barics. Should I get another 12 or would it just make sense to get another db12 by kenwood since all my system is kenwood.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The L7 come only in daul voice coils of 2 ohm or 4 ohm. Your 401 is only rated at a 2 ohm load. If you have 2 4ohm dbs you will already be running a 2 ohm load.

yeah, if you hooked up another 4 ohm sub in parallel on your amp, you would have a 1.3 ohm load. you can seriously damage the amp like that.
if you want to add more subs to a single amp, get a High Current amp. i run 4 subs off one amp @ 1 ohm. and when i need more space, i disconnect 2 subs and just run two @ two ohms.

You won't be able to buy just one extra sub. You'll have to buy two to make the ohm loads work for your amp when you rewire it. If they're all 4 ohm, then you'll wire two in parallel to each channel. Still spending that money, you're almost at buying a new amp. This is the end of the year so many places are closing out on this year's amps to make room for next year.

so i would neeed another amp and 2 more subs? Anyways if i did get them what would be the best to add boom to the rest of my kenwood stuff. Kickers?

if you want something for spl, dont go for any of the stuff they sell in Crutchfield.
try other brands...
MMats Juggernaut
Earthquake Magma (or Balls)
Orion HCCA
Audiobahn 05 series (or 08, AWP3, AWT)
Memphis LVS...

there's lots of great subs that will blow Kicker and Kenwood away.
just go to some real car audio shops

The easiest way to get more boom is by putting in more subs rather than more power. For an example, if you wanted more bass, and you had the choice between:

2 subs running at 200 watts each or
4 subs running at 100 watts each

They're both pulling the same amount of power, but you'd theoretically take the second choice. This is because the power consumption of an audio system is expontial. This means when you double your amp power, you're not doubling you volume.

Each time you want to gain 3 dbs in volume you either have to double your power or your cone area (doubling up on woofers). So if a sensitivity rating of a sub was like 88 for one watt of power, to get to 91, you need to go to two watts. Then, to get to 93 you need 4 watts. Then to get to 96 you need 8 watts. To get to 99 you need 16 watts. So as you can see, those competitors that get up in the 150's and such, the power required for every extra watt is costing them in blood.

So if you can't pay in blood like that, you can pay in space by just buying more subs that way. If you had two subs in parallel, that would draw your 2 ohm load and you'd be running 2 subs on one channel. So you'd pull out twice your output and double your cone area, and you'd be doing that for both channels.

I didn't mean that you'd have to buy new subs and an amp, just that your other choice is to try and buy a more powerful amp if you didn't want to get more subs. Sorry about that.

Technically, as long as you set the ohm loads up right, you can have one amp powering a whole bunch of subs. In one old car audio mag, there was some guy who put like 20 or so Bazooka tubes to two amps.

There are lots of ways you can achieve this. Another way might just be to put your subs in a bigger box to allow for more excursion. It'll give the bass even more boom. Or just start buying cheaper subs and put lots of 'em in!

Back