Kink in filler hose, replacement options? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Kink in filler hose, replacement options?

outatime

Reaction score
City, State
davenport florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 sport trac
Hey all, so I think I have a kink in my fuel filler hose, I need the part from the tank that goes to a plastic fitting before it reaches the filler cap area. It appears to be this part 7A2Z-9047-A but its like $260 for a bit of pipe. Does anyone know of a cheaper replacement, can't find a Dorman fitting and thinking if I but it off the reel it will kink again as it doesn't have the bends in it. Found one for a 2007 Explorer Ltd 4.6 for $30 but it doesn't appear to be the same as the Sporttrac. Anyone ? Thank you.

I don't know what diameter you need, but would flexible hose work, something like this:

Something else I don't know and can only assume is that both ends of your hose are the same diameter?

Thank you for that, I guess I am going to have to remove or cut a piece off the old one to figure out the size as I can't find much online, anyone here know please?

If you don't have a caliper to measure, could use a pipe wrench to close down around it then measure wrench gap, or wrap a piece of string around it and measure the circumference, then diameter is circumference / 3.14. Now you have outer diameter and to get the needed inner diameter, subtract about ~3/8" (0.375") for the wall thickness and then it's probably the hose size closest to that estimation.

For example if a 7.5" length of string makes it around, 7.5 / 3.14 = 2.39 outer diameter
2.39 - 0.375 = 2.02 (rounded off)... so in this example, probably a 2" I.D. hose.

However in reality, I doubt it is as large as 2" I.D.

I noticed that Rock Auto has the filler hoses for a regular Explorer and wonder if they would work? I don't know:

The Spectra has specs indicating it is a different I.D at each end:

Some local auto parts stores might carry this hose so if you take yours off, could compare it before buying... or it and the Dorman shown on Rock Auto are sold by Amazon as well.

I noticed that you wrote "Found one for a 2007 Explorer Ltd 4.6 for $30 but it doesn't appear to be the same as the Sporttrac". In what way does it differ?

Back