Kirby's Spare Time Sucker.... 1995 Full Size Bronco Solid Axle Swap | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Kirby's Spare Time Sucker.... 1995 Full Size Bronco Solid Axle Swap

Kirby's Spare Time Sucker.... 1995 Full Size Bronco Solid Axle Swap !!PICS!!

This is where I have been putting in all my time lately. It is going to be sweet when it is done. I thought I would share. It is my buddy Phils rig. He has been driving it for a few years. It has never been modded at all ( OK, we built him a bumper a couple of months ago). He has never even had a lifted truc. He is determined to build it right the first time! He is doing all the research and the grinder work, rebuild work, etc. I am just there for experience, moral support, and welding. He has done an incredible job planning it out considering he started gathering parts a year and a half ago. It has been down for about 2 months now. We did the rear first.

Specs:

Rear- Stock 8.8. 4.56 Yukons, Aussie Locker, Sky Shackle Flip, Ruff Stuff Spring perches, welded axle tubes, shock mounts cut and turned for extra clearance

Front- 1977 F150 Dana 44 (1/2" axle tubes) Fully rebuilt with all new bearings, ball joints, seals and a paint job.

6" Deaver Coils, Yukon Chomo Shafts, 4.56s, Yukon Superjoints, Warn Premiums, Ballistic fab poly/ flex joint on trackbar, Chevy TRE conversion, Threaded DOM Tie Rod, drag link, trac bar, and Tera 2.5" Johnny Joints on the Radius Arms, Stock f150 Coil Buckets. Full height. Probably stock Super Duty upper shock mounts too, but we haven't decided quited yet.

He also has a new set of 35" BFG Mudders he will be running.

Unlike explorer swaps, the Tranny crossmember has to go on these full size swaps. The front driveshaft can't move with down travel at all really with the stocker. That caused us to have to build a crossmember for the tranny, and we decided we might as well attach the radius arms there too.

BroncoCrossmember.jpg

BroncoCrossmember2.jpg

The Radius arms are fully plated with 1/4" flat stock, then the threaded stud was ground smooth and a piece of small DOM was slid over it and plug welded in two spots as well as the ends. Then another piece of DOM was threaded for the Johnny Joints and bent in the bender to keep the link mounts near to the frame rail and to make the mounts paralell to the frame. It was plug welded in two spots and of course on the end. They are 15" extended over stock.

BroncoArms.jpg

Side Shot As it sat tonight:

BroncoSideShot.jpg

Now we are working on the tracbar. We are using Ruff Stuff brakets top and bottom. The tracbar will need to be bent to clear the crossmember/ steering box. We hope it will be done by the end of June. More to come...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

We made some more progress this weekend. Got the trac bar mounts made and attached and got the drag link/ trac bar mocked up for measuring. They are being made by a local machinist who is taking DOM and threading it for us as well as putting flats on it so we can fit a end wrench on.

On with the pics!

Some of the Radius Arms

Comparo:
P1011057.jpg

P1011056-1.jpg

Radius Arms in Crossmember
P1011046.jpg

P1011047.jpg

P1011048.jpg

Trac Bar Upper Mount
P1011043.jpg

P1011044.jpg

P1011049.jpg

P1011060.jpg

Lower Trac Bar Mount
P1011053.jpg

P1011052.jpg

P1011051.jpg

P1011061.jpg

Finally, Truck on all 4s at ride height

P1011059.jpg

P1011058.jpg

Looks good man!

did you thread the dom with a tap or a lathe? Also are those 1 1/4 x 12 thread joints? And finaly if so is that 1 1/2 x 1/4 wall dom?

You already answered the first ? :confused:all the pretty pictures:confused:

It was threaded with a lathe. I am not sure what a 1 1/4 x 12 thread joint is...

I don't know what wall the DOM is, but it is beasty. We asked the machine shiop to use the DOM that would work well with the Tera Joints.

Oh, what are the joints eh? They are teraflexes and I think they are the 3" or something. They have a 9/16" hole.

Ballistic joints?

Cool... the OJ Simpson model!!

Cool... the OJ Simpson model!!

RUN OJ RUN!

Oj is going to be harder to catch now that he has some suspension travel...

Sorry I was refering to the thread pitch and size of the stud on the joint. Your set up is similer to the one I have planed for mine.

Wow looks good. So this is what my reamer was needed for?

Yep! Thanks for the loan joe! We need to hang out sometime. Lets go wheeling!

The OJ bronc is on the road now and it is sweet. It sits about a foot taller than the Navajo at the roof/ hood, but it looks pretty proportional. Wheel travel is exceptional! I will post up some pics when I get some.

We are really pleased with how it turned out.

I guess the progress we made since the last update is: f250 shock towers and crazyedsperformance.com shock tabs, Rancho big bodied shocks in the 9012 style so they are 13" travel ones, and the rear leaves were redone with 3 leafs added for a stiffer spring and more height.

I should also add that everything for this build was purchased at http://crazyedsperformance.com/ at a great price!

I saw the bronco today and I must say turned out great. Everything looks really beefy.

Thanks Joe! I think it is ready for a shake down run this weekend! You want to wheel this weekend?

Looking great Kirby N.!

:thumbsup: I can not forget and thank you enough for all the tips you gave me on my first SAS thread.

Thanks Joe! I think it is ready for a shake down run this weekend! You want to wheel this weekend?

Cant make it this weekend. I need to get out sometime though its been way to long.

Cant make it this weekend. I need to get out sometime though its been way to long.

OK... give me a call sometime! I will post up pics of wheeler lake on Sunday for everyone to see. I am driving my Sisters TJ because my rig is down. Phil is installing some street truck drop shackles and he hacked the rear quarter for clearance. We moved his axle back about 5". The rear driveshaft had to be seriously lengthened! As soon as we get the rear height nailed we will weld on some shock mounts and order some shocks for the rear.

Shakedown run Pics From Wheeler Lake. It did AWESOME. No breakage. Rear shocks need to be added asap soon:D.
Wheeler Lake Trail:
102_3697.jpg

102_3836.jpg

102_3755.jpg

102_3727.jpg

102_3724.jpg

102_3705.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back