Knock sensor location on 2016 ecoboost V6 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Knock sensor location on 2016 ecoboost V6

RichardSlay

Reaction score
City, State
Cary, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Explorer Sport
My CEL came on indicating the knock sensor needs replacing. I've found the plug end of the sensor but can't see where the sensors connect to the block. I also can't find a diagram anywhere online. Does anyone have a diagram or know where they connect? I'm trying to decide whether I want to tackle this myself. Looks like I'll need to remove about half the engine compartment to track them down.

2016 Explorer Sport with 3.5L Ecoboost V6

What's your code? There seems to be systemic issue with the wires chafing just below the connector, as Ford released a TSB on it. Watch this video. I think the sensor is buried towards the back and the manifolds have to come off to get to it.

What's your code? There seems to be systemic issue with the wires chafing just below the connector, as Ford released a TSB on it. Watch this video. I think the sensor is buried towards the back and the manifolds have to come off to get to it.

Thanks for that video, good info! I just went out and looked at my wires and sure enough it was chafing, there was a tiny bare spot on the manifold as shown in the video. I wrapped the wire with tape and will keep an eye on that little problem area from time to time.

Good luck, crazy how such a tiny oversight can cause such headaches for 1000s of vehicles.

Back