OBDII: Camshaft position (CMP) sensor A, bank 1 - circuit malfunction | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

OBDII: Camshaft position (CMP) sensor A, bank 1 - circuit malfunction

steveacuna

Reaction score
City, State
Lakewood
Year, Model & Trim Level
2012 explorer xlt
Hello Explorer friends

2012 Ford Explorer 3.5L V6

I have these codes coming up, what are the chances this is just the sensor?? and can anyone show me where the sensor is located in the engine. Description, photo, diagram etc. Any help would be appreciated.

P0340
Raw code: 0340
ECU: Engine control unit
OBDII: Camshaft position (CMP) sensor A, bank 1 - circuit malfunction

============2==============
P0344
Raw code: 0344
ECU: Engine control unit
OBDII: Camshaft position (CMP) sensor A, bank 1 - circuit intermittent

Thank you!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The fault(s) could be due to a faulty sensor, a connection issue, a wiring harness issue, or a PCM issue. A resistance check of the sensor would reveal if it's a hard failure. A good sensor should read between 250 and 1000 ohms. If an inspection of the connector doesn't reveal anything, you can swap the sensor for CMP21 and see if the code moves or stays the same.

2022-11-05 14_44_12-Service Information - 2013 Explorer - Component Location Views (151-11).png

Thanks for the info. Sounds like I'll need a mechanic for this one. Thanks for the info my friend.

Thanks for the info. Sounds like I'll need a mechanic for this one. Thanks for the info my friend.
Update. Explorer stopped moving. Breaks stopped working. Had to tow it to the mechanic. Maybe the timing chain is broken?

More than likely there is a timing issue. Wether its just a sensor or something more serious will require proper mechanical diagnosis. Best not to risk it. The brakes are probably fine they are only power assisted if the engine is on so if the engine shut off while moving then your braking power is heavily reduced

Back