Knocking and squeeking noise from front left | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Knocking and squeeking noise from front left

Status
Not open for further replies.

kona_mtb

Reaction score
City, State
Kamloops, BC
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91 XL
I have been driving my 92 xl around in 4x4 while there has been snow and it was squeeking pretty bad. Then today i put into back into rear drive and it all the sudden started making some knocking noise every kilometer or so. What could this be? any ideas?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

could be driveline problem possibly ujoints?

could be driveline problem possibly ujoints?

I saw thinking ujoint but not sure. I went to drive it to my dads garage to take a look and I backed up started to go forwards and it started making an awful cracking noise to I pulled back in and it's sitting now! So pissed worst time of year too cause its to cold to do any work outside

How difficult is replacing ujoints? is it more just time intensive? I have the hanes manual so I should how to do it

Well I have been reading other threads and thought the whining could be caused by either the front left hub (manual locking) or possibly wheel bearings? But could this be contributing to the clunking/thudding noise? I looked at the u-joints and they looked fine! Any tests for checking how the hubs are working?

Any other possibilities in your minds?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back