Lab-Chemical Fee Charged for Oil Change | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Lab-Chemical Fee Charged for Oil Change

rusty813

Reaction score
City, State
Private
Year, Model & Trim Level
2018 Ford Explorer Sport
The oil change itself was 63. They used to charge me $75 for full synthetic oil. Now the service center is tacking on a Lab-Chemical Fee for $43 for a oil change. The total came out to $106. Anyone has this? It is the only Ford dealership on our island in Hawaii, and no other Ford dealers. Their shop is ancient as hell, straight out of the 80's, very disorganized.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

For that kind of fee I would just do it myself. 6 quarts of synthetic and filter. It doesn't take that long to drain and change the filter.

Most auto parts stores will now take the used oil if you buy the new oil from them.

The oil change itself was 63. They used to charge me $75 for full synthetic oil. Now the service center is tacking on a Lab-Chemical Fee for $43 for a oil change. The total came out to $106. Anyone has this? It is the only Ford dealership on our island in Hawaii, and no other Ford dealers. Their shop is ancient as hell, straight out of the 80's, very disorganized.
Did you ask them as to what exactly is a Lab Chemical Fee is? You aren't getting it analysed, just changed. No one has brought this up in the Forum before so it must be just in your area/location.

Peter

Did you ask them as to what exactly is a Lab Chemical Fee is? You aren't getting it analysed, just changed. No one has brought this up in the Forum before so it must be just in your area/location.

Peter

I looked at the paperwork when I got home. I didnt bother asking why I was a charged a Lab-Chemical fee for a oil change. Nor did I request for this. At the service center when dropping off our car we are force to park it in front of the desk now. They check under the hood before taking the car. They do some quick test kit that took them 2 secs. I need to start finding cameras to install in my car.

From reading online it seems that they are charging customers to use there space when changing oil. Kind like a diagnostic test fee or vehicle storage. Instead of calling vehicle port space or whatever the heck you call it. They call it Lab-Chemical Fee. This something completely new, and since they are only ford dealership on the island they will just argue with you. Since they control market for ford vehicle services. Same family operated business and employees for 30 years. They are trained to fight back against the customer.

I couldnt find anything online explaining what the hell is Lab-Chemical fee.

Call the service writer at the dealership and ask.

I've heard of companies charging people to rent a service bay for DIY projects but never for bring in your vehicle to a dealer for service. I think that is just absolutely ridiculous. If it was me, I'd stop doing business there regardless if they are the only Ford dealer. There must be other garages around that can do oil changes and other maintenance jobs.

Peter

Call the service writer at the dealership and ask.

That doesn't help at all, when it's a family owned dealership with family members employed. More likely need someone from HQ who manage brand name. They operate like this for over 30+ years. They are the only dealership on the island and trained to argue back with the customer, since they control the ford market.

I curious how many other me too stories there are about this dealership.

I'm not saying to argue with them over it, but to just ask what it was for.

Even after they give you a answer don't argue about it, just thank them and go on your way.

Then find some place else to do the work. Even with inflated prices for being in the middle of the ocean you should be able to do a oil change for around $50 and 30 minutes of your time. Or go find one of those quick lube shops. You have to also remember that the dealer is not paying top mechanic wages to the oil monkey. They are just making minimum wage likely and the only skill that they have is to pull a plug on the pan and to poor oil into the fill hole.

Not much to be honest, when you live in a community where everyone knows each, especially on an island were people keep their mouth shut. I am sure there, but not online. The biggest they are know for is the service center tells you we will charge $50, and forces you to sign the agreement or they will not take your car. Then they charge you $100 when you pick it up. I am surprised they are operate as a ford dealership with such corruption.

They dont even follow ford warranty on parts, and they charge $40 dollars more than the ford advertisement in the mail. They say that's only for the mainland. Why send the ford advertisement from HQ with the dealer address on the card when doing deceptive business with customers?

I tried opening up a ford dealership, the island I live on is 100 miles radius. Ford only allows dealerships to be 50 miles apart from each, last I checked. They have a dealership in west and east side of the island. I really hope a dealership owner on here finds a way around this and opens a dealership on our island. Give these guys competition.

Sounds like there is an untapped market for some honest ex ford mechanics to open a shop there.

Sounds like there is an untapped market for some honest ex ford mechanics to open a shop there.

Hell yeah, I hope someone from the mainland opens a Ford Dealership on our island. Give them some competition. I guarantee people would leave, there automotive service center is so old and lounge is like walking in a dirty restroom. I attached two pictures.

Attachments

• 20200721_160304.jpg
    20200721_160304.jpg
    119.5 KB · Views: 111
  • Screenshot_20200721-160107_Maps.jpg
    Screenshot_20200721-160107_Maps.jpg
    121.7 KB · Views: 104

Back