Valvoline Oil Change Trustworthy? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Valvoline Oil Change Trustworthy?

There are always good and bad shops and there are always human error. I used to bring my previous cars to my local Valvoline about 5 mins from my house. I had zero issues with them. They always brought over the dip stick to show you the current level and I see them bring over a oil filter. They did not push for any services but did make recommendations. I used to use a sharpie and put markings on the oil filter or write the date on it. The 2012 Explorer was purchased brand new and I felt it was just easier for warranty or other issues to just stick with the Dealer. So far knock on wood, no issues with my current Ford Dealer.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What are everyone’s thoughts on Quick Lane lube shops? They all seem to be located at Ford dealerships and use Motorcraft products. Is there any reason to think that the service and quality would be close to that of the Ford dealer's service dept. where they’re located or just another quick lube? I would have to think that at times these Ford service depts. are sending customer oil changes over to the Quick Lane on site when they might be backed up with other repairs or maybe even on a regular basis where the Service Dept. can focus more on the higher cost repair then the everyday oil change.

Even the quick lube shop at the dealer is manned by minimum wage kids that do the oil changes, same as who is working down the street in the other quick lube shops. I don't believe that their quality is any different than the shop down the street. Ford dealerships use Motorcraft products because that is what they get a break on price with, same with the lube shop down the street with what ever products that they use. As long as the oil and filters meet the manufactures standards they will be OK to use, if they don't meet the standards don't use them.

Just as a FYI Motorcraft does not have a manufacturing plant to build the filters and parts for your vehicle. The farm them out with their specifications to outside contractors to make with the Motorcraft name on them

Thanks. That's pretty much what I was afraid of with the techs doing the work, I was however hoping the dealership affiliation might elevate the service a bit more than the quick lube down the road. Scheduling an appointment and leaving the car with the dealer is not always easy for me to do. I do have to rely on quick lube places to do the work and have not had great experiences at Valvoline lube shops.

The simplicity of a oil change today makes me wonder why most people don't do it themselves. Granted you need to crawl under the vehicle and perhaps get a little dirty and then there are owners that just can't get down like that anymore but a oil change shouldn't take much more than 15 minutes if you do it yourself. You can also look around the engine bay a little and see if you see any problems area that the dealer might take care of for you.

The last time I had a quick lube shop even touch one of my vehicles was around 19 years ago. They managed to strip the threads on the nipple that the oil filter screws onto on my 96 Ford diesel and refused to do anything about it. The part needed to be replace at the tune of $150 just for the part not to mention the O rings, coolant, and a coolant flush that would of been needed to do it right. I took a needle file to it and after 6 or 7 more oil changes I finally had the nipple back where you could screw the filter back on without having to use a wrench. After that I swore off the quick lube shops and can change my oil and lube the front end on my truck in about 30 minutes. I then take the used oil down to the town maintenance shop where they have a used oil depository for us citizens.

I hear you. I had a quick lube cross thread a lug nut on a tire rotation on another vehicle and leave a new filter untightened on my Explorer. I used to change it myself on previous vehicles. That may be the way to go. I just need to find a way to dispose of the used oil. My town doesn't have a drop off for it and surrounding towns want to see an ID that you live in the town. I'd have to see if a local garage or parts store might take it for a fee.

The simplicity of a oil change today makes me wonder why most people don't do it themselves. Granted you need to crawl under the vehicle and perhaps get a little dirty and then there are owners that just can't get down like that anymore but a oil change shouldn't take much more than 15 minutes if you do it yourself. You can also look around the engine bay a little and see if you see any problems area that the dealer might take care of for you.

Agree wholeheartedly. Even though I no longer have the Ex and now have a '11 Edge Limited, I intend to do all my own oil changes and whatever maintenance I can do. Frankly, after crawling under the Edge (even with a bionic knee and recent ankle surgery) it looks easier to do than the Ex. The filter is lower than the Ex and the oil drain plug is very easily accessible. I also bought a Fumoto oil valve to simplify the draining. I am fortunate enough to have all the tools (stands, pneumatic wrenches, full ratchet set, torque wrench, etc) and my wife stated that I BETTER do all the maintenance since I have all the tools! I trust myself to do the work (partly due to this group) and I actually enjoy doing it! Now, jobs like trans overhaul, rear end swaps, I cannot do - above my skill set. But brakes, shocks, oil change, water pump/therm, radiator, upper/lower manifold gaskets (at least on the Ex), most interior stuff and electricals, I can do. If you want to have work done by a shop, then by all means have it done. But for me, I just like doing it myself and saving a few dollars - probably to buy more tools!!!! Maybe a lift!!! Ha-HAAA!!!:thumbsup:

Back