larger tires causing loss of bearing pre-load | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

larger tires causing loss of bearing pre-load

Hi everyone,

A quick question as to running bigger tires.

I am now running 31/10.50/15 on the stock rim for my 98 X and i was wondering if there is a chance i can have my wheel bearings loosen (loss of preload) if i hit a hard pot hole or go wheeling.

I have read that this loose bearings can happen when you run a larger tire, but whould a 31 " tire cause this or am I in the clear ?

If i need to upgrade parts what do i use ? How much $$$ ..

Thanks again.

Mark

31's shouldn't cause a problem. Anything larger, check the bearings after a few hundred miles... Then from there they should be fine unles you hit something real hard or get them wet...

J

The bearing pre-load problem is related to the '91-'94 model X, not your '98. When Ford went to IFS in '95 they changed the wheel bearing design as well. The newer (IFS) front end uses a sealed bearing/hub.

Note: this only applies to the '95-up 4wd. The 2wd still uses serviceable wheel bearings.

Do you know of any common noise from the front of a 95 Exp. XLT 4x4? I know that these have sealed bearings though there seems to be a bit of a whirring noise as well as a vibration at speeds 65<. Thanks for any info.

Back