Largest tires that will fit on a 97 explorer sport 4x4 | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Largest tires that will fit on a 97 explorer sport 4x4

What are the largest tires that will fit on a 1997 Explorer Sport 4x4? I have the 16 inch chrome rims. I'm sure its larger than the stock 255 70 R16's I have. This answer has been hinted at in other posts and I'm guessing it would be 265 75 R16's that would be the largest but if anyone knows I would really appreciate the info. Stock suspension set up. Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

if I've got a 97 XLT and I wanted to put on some 31x10.50x15 MTR's and some mickey thompson classic II's with stock suspension would there be a bad problem with rubbing or should I just go with some 30x9.50's? Thanks everybody.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

should work but as we have found we are all different so you may need some trimming!

I have the BFG M/T's 265/75R16 with no rub at all, but i have like 3" of height. I love them

BFG 265/75-R16's-what size is that? around 31s? 32s?

Originally posted by Ex95XLT
BFG 265/75-R16's-what size is that? around 31s? 32s?

With TT/Shackles and a 2" BL you can fit 33's

Michelin's web site lists my 265 75R16 LTX ATs at 31.9" x 10.9"

taht is probably more like it.

Yes that is about 31" of tire.
I love them. They work and look great. ;)

All I need is the 2" BL now, and I'll get 33's next year. Maybe......

Speaking of speedo gear swap I did mine today on my 95 X 4.0 from 19 to 20 and now the speedo is bouncing for some reason, does anyone know why?

I think the 265's should fit mine are 31" they rub slightly on compression I'm running goodyear mt/r's and I love them!

Well, i have a set of Bridgestone Dueler AT REVO on order. They are 275/70R16 (31.2 X 10.8) Should I have the tire place just mount them on the rims and toss the rims in the back or should i have then just put them on the truck? i have 2 sets of rims and if you guys think the new ones will rub too much on the runningboards then I would just have them tossed in the back. Let me know if you have larger tires on a Sport or Eddie Bauer.

When I went to get my 265 75R16 tires, Discount didn't have the LTX ATs in that size at their store so they ordered a set in from another store for the following day. I had them test fit a 265 75R16 LTX M/S to see if it would fit. When I saw the piece of plastic it caught on, I trimmed the plastic off when I got home. The next day I went up and had the LTX ATs installed with no rubbing. I would say have them test fit the same size tires that you are buying on the front and then go home and trim it. Some tire places will trim the plastic for you but I didn't want them doing any trimming on my vehicle. Taking the tires home though and mounting them yourself is another way to try it but it involves more work on your end. Depends on what the tire store is willing to do.

i have 2 sets of 16" rims so I will just drive the truck tot he tire place with the stock rims and tires and then the "other" rims will be in the back and just have them stick the tires on those "other" rims and test fit at home I guess....just to be safe.

What happens if after you test fit them you find that you would have to cut off more than you would like to get them to fit? WIll the tire place let you return them?

i have a '96 4dr and run 31's with no rubbing at stock height. went from 235x75x15 to 31's thru my speedo off 10mph (approx), and fords said that i'98s and up can be reprogrammed for 31s. by the way they are the BFG AT k/O's and love em

Originally posted by Robert
What happens if after you test fit them you find that you would have to cut off more than you would like to get them to fit? WIll the tire place let you return them?
Bridgestone/firestone has a 30 day "test-drive" policy...if i don;t like them I'll exchange for a size smaller.
:)

I have the BFG AT 265/75's, and I was told when i bought them they were 30.7 x 10.7. I dont know if that's right but it sounds good to me.

...Anyway they fit on my 97 sport perfectly fine, and so far ive seen no signs of rubbing. I havn't done any trimming at all; and as of now I have no sort of lift.

Hopefully within the next week or two im gonna be getting shackles/TT and the 3" PA body lift put on. Since ive heard that u can run 33's with the TT/shackles and only a 2" BL, i was wondering if i could fit 34's since im getting another inch from the BL.

If anyone has done this or knows if its possible lemme know...

Thanks, Sean

I have a 99 sport that I have done the TT and AAL to, i have gained about 1.5 - 2" of lift, could I run a BFG AT 275 75 R16 on my stock 16" tear drop rims or would I need to add shackles aswell?

Back