Largest tires that will fit on a 97 explorer sport 4x4 | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Largest tires that will fit on a 97 explorer sport 4x4

What are the largest tires that will fit on a 1997 Explorer Sport 4x4? I have the 16 inch chrome rims. I'm sure its larger than the stock 255 70 R16's I have. This answer has been hinted at in other posts and I'm guessing it would be 265 75 R16's that would be the largest but if anyone knows I would really appreciate the info. Stock suspension set up. Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You should have no problem running that size tire with a torsion twist and shackles though you might have to do a little bit of trimming. a 275/75 r16 is basically a 32" tire and guys on here have run 32s with just a torsion twist with little to no problems.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

96 explorer

My tires are 235 75 15 stock on 1996 explorer>>

did they go to 16 rims on later models?

Originally posted by Doug
You should have no problem running that size tire with a torsion twist and shackles though you might have to do a little bit of trimming. a 275/75 r16 is basically a 32" tire and guys on here have run 32s with just a torsion twist with little to no problems.

I rubbed my tupper ware up front on flat pavement just doing circles with a TT and 265/75R16's... Now with a 2" BL i have plenty of clearance and it all looks proportional. Before the BL, the truck was aggressive, but I thought the tires were a little too stuffed... I don't see how y'all are fitting this size tire stock (but then again, i was unwilling to trim anything and very willing to lift :D)

Re: 96 explorer

Originally posted by bldrums
My tires are 235 75 15 stock on 1996 explorer>>

did they go to 16 rims on later models?

The Sport and I believe the EB Models all have the 16" Rim option.

Pardon the bump on the old topic, but I'm tire-shopping now and 265/75 seems like it's what I'm looking for.

Question is, are you guys throwing an ABS light with the slightly larger tire diameter?

i am setting up for bigger tires but i already bought 15" soft 8's will this allow for even bigger tires
on 2005 model

i'm sittin on 35's on my 1st gen.. but what speedo gear do i need for that??? oh also have 4:56's in the rear and its 4x4 front drive line is out for now...

YOU GUYS ARE CONFUSIN ME!!!!!! I thought i was set on what size tire now im all mixed up lol!!! Im doin my tt/shackles tommorrow. On a 16" teardrop wheel on 2000 xlt 4dr with the stock fender flares and all..... as a matter of fact... just like this http://www.privatestockrapidcity.com/images/00fordexplorerxlt.JPG
(mines more accessorized than this one) What is the absolute largest tire i can fit on the 16?

I did exactly what Robert did; I put the BFG 265/75-R16's on my sport and had to trim the same spot. I've had no rubbing, even off road and I know that I had the springs at full compression as evidenced by the clean marks that the rubber stops left on the control arms. Unfortunately, I don't have a close-up picture of my trim job, but it is the same as Robert's.

Here's a shot of the truck at moab:

moab_tomwilk.jpg

Note that I removed the step bars for added clearance.

Also note that this photo was taken before the new OME rear springs. Picture about 2" more clearance above the rear tires. :)

[Edited by Tom Wilk on 06-28-2000 at 08:04 AM]

Alright, bump for an old topic, since we like to use search :)

Is this photo of a stock suspension explorer with 265/75/R16's? I have an 02 explorer sport with 16" wheels, and I'm going to look at a set of BFG MT 265/75R16's and I need to know if they fit. In the last 2 pages, many people have said they do, but other's have said that they have no idea how you fit them. I've looked at the tire sizes that should fit my truck in the sticky(31x10.5r15), but it does not include 16" wheels. These tires are like 31.9" and like 10.5" wide. Is this safe to run on 7" wide 16" wheels? Any information would be appreciated.

Thank you,
Gary

The 265/75R16's do fit with trimming on a STOCK SUSPENSION Explorer...At least for what the thread says... the 1997... and I assume this is correct for the following years: 1995 thru 2001...I am NOT sure about 2002 and newer.... I have a 97, and they did fit when I had them....

I put 265/75/16 on my Explorer Sport w/ only doing a shackle lift, they rubbed a little in the front but i eventually lifted it in the front a little by turning the torsion bars...

23950110130_large.jpg

- Jake

Where did you get that grille guard? It looks sick and I want one like that for my Explorer. Thanks.

Its a Westin and the cheapest Westin dealer I could find was Advanced Auto but since the dealership that I work for has an account through them I got it slightly discounted. I got it a while ago but from what I remember it cost me around $600.

- Jake

Cool, man. Thanks for the info. I just looked them up online and they have them for like $420-$472+shipping. Not a bad price. But they say '01-'03. Did yours say it worked for a or a '95-'00? And for the lights, did you just drill and bolt them on? Thanks.

Cool, man. Thanks for the info. I just looked them up online and they have them for like $420-$472+shipping. Not a bad price. But they say '01-'03. Did yours say it worked for a or a '95-'00? And for the lights, did you just drill and bolt them on? Thanks.

The Westin or the Manik brands are already pre-drilled with mounting for 2 lights. The holes are just covered with a couple of protective plastic plugs so you have the option of not putting in lights.

The Westin or the Manik brands are already pre-drilled with mounting for 2 lights. The holes are just covered with a couple of protective plastic plugs so you have the option of not putting in lights.
like techboj said the holes are pre drilled and mine did say for 95-00

-Jake

Back