Lateral link for 16" wheels??? Please help! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Lateral link for 16" wheels??? Please help!

Squirrels

Reaction score
City, State
Rhode Island
Year, Model & Trim Level
02 XLT
Please help! I have an 02 explorer that had the rear right wheel bearing go. Turns out the bearing was locked in the knuckle, therefore needing to be replaced. Ford informed me I would need the "upgraded" knuckle and "tie-rod" for about $230.00 each. I figured I would grab the tie-rod aftermarket. Which I did. But therein lies the problem. Everything I could find for 02-05 Explorers say the tie-rods are for 17" wheels, but I have the factory 16" and now the tie rod is rubbing the wheel. I purchased from NAPA which was the same as the MOOG part number ES800562. Do I really have to pay $230.00 for the OEM link?!?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I see that. But why does every aftermarket tie-rod (MOOG or other) say its for 17" wheels? I have the factory 16" and, unless I'm just not pushing the ball joint bolt in far enough, it's rubbing the wheel

Something just doesn't seem right. I'm going to grab both the MOOG 15mm and 17mm links and return the one that doesn't work. I just went with the 17mm, since that is what the upgraded knuckle called for....

Something just doesn't seem right. I'm going to grab both the MOOG 15mm and 17mm links and return the one that doesn't work. I just went with the 17mm, since that is what the upgraded knuckle called for....
I know this is from years ago, but did you figure out which one? I'm in the same situation currently

I know this is from years ago, but did you figure out which one? I'm in the same situation currently
I just replaced the rear toe links on my 2002 Explorer 4.0 2WD with 16" wheels. Ford no longer makes the OEM part. I purchased Mevotech Supreme CMS40158 from Rockauto. They have 17mm studs. They were $36 each. I used the original pinch bolts as the new ones that came with the links were way too long. No rubbing. Cheers!

I just replaced the rear toe links on my 2002 Explorer 4.0 2WD with 16" wheels. Ford no longer makes the OEM part. I purchased Mevotech Supreme CMS40158 from Rockauto. They have 17mm studs. They were $36 each. I used the original pinch bolts as the new ones that came with the links were way too long. No rubbing. Cheers!
Thank you so much for responding. Ive been stuck for so long. Can you dumb it down for me a bit? 😅 So, basically I want to get the new steering knuckle. The one that says I can't have the 16in wheels. I'm guessing you did that, and then bought the part from rock auto to make it work and then used the original pinch bolt with that? Is that correct? I really appreciate the feedback.

Thank you so much for responding. Ive been stuck for so long. Can you dumb it down for me a bit? 😅 So, basically I want to get the new steering knuckle. The one that says I can't have the 16in wheels. I'm guessing you did that, and then bought the part from rock auto to make it work and then used the original pinch bolt with that? Is that correct? I really appreciate the feedback.
I only replaced the toe links, not the knuckle. Since my Explorer was built after 3/4/2002, my original knuckles were machined for 17mm toe link studs. None of the knuckles on Rockauto mention wheel diameter, but the toe links do. The Mevotechs that I mentioned earlier clear my OEM 16" aluminum wheels.

As mentioned in this thread, the early 2002 (before 3/04/2002) had a 15mm toe link stud on the rear knuckle. The upgraded one is 17mm, which also requires a new toe link.

When replacing my rear bearings, I installed the MOOG knuckle and bearing assembly, LK001 (left) and LK002 (right). For toe links, I installed MOOG #ES800560 inner toe link and MOOG #ES800562 outer toe link. Tight fit for 16" OEM wheels but works fine.

Back