• Register Today It's free!

leaf springs, tires

pfeffer1728

Reaction score
City, State
Auburn, AL
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 XLT
does anyone else's 98ish xlt squeak when going over bumps? usually notice at slow speeds, and if you just bounce on the bumper it sounds like a squeaky bed or something? i was thinking it might be leaf springs, or some bushing of some sort....any ideas? and also, i have 30x9.5 tires on now, anybody have 31x10.50s, was wondering if they rub or not...thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Can't help you on the squeaking, but I ran 31X10.5's for quite awhile and it only rubbed at extreme compression of the suspension.

is the squek from the front or rear. You metioned leaves but i just wanna make sure. oops just read that better......

it could be the teflon between each leaf, ne of them may be missing or worn out, making metal on metal, or the material may have just degraded and is squeking. it also could be your sway bar/ shackle bushings.

definitely look at the leaf springs..

one way of narrowing the source down is having some1 bounce on the bumper while you lay under the rear end to pinpoint the source of the squeek.

I wish it was that easy for me. I have had a odd sqeek/clunk from my rear end for a while now, and it'll only do it on a bump...I could shake my truck all day long it wont do it - but I run over a stick and it'll do it lol :fire:

-Drew

oh mine is definately noticeable, in fact its pretty annoying. makes my truck sound like a piecer and its definately not. it helps a little when i silicone the **** outta every bushing down there, but it coems back after awhile....ill have to look closer and try to find a specific source

in that case buy a bushings set from daystar......it'll improve your handling too. I havent bought on eyet, my bushings are still all good.

Back