• Register Today It's free!

Leak in my 01 Explorer Sport

'Splorersport

Reaction score
City, State
Madison, CT
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Sport
Somewhere...somehow....there's a leak in my 01 Explorer Sport. It's on the passenger side...somewhere. After a couple instances where there have been torrential downpours, my passenger side seat, floor, and even back seat have been soaked in water. (As it's parked outside, all the time) So, it's been long enough, and this last time it rained it was pretty bad. (My poor girlfriend was sitting on a sponge :rant: )

So anyway, I've been trying to track down the leak. My dad thinks it's coming from the sun roof, but I think it's more like from the door. I've cleaned out the drains to the sunroof, and I make sure that they're always clean, because when they're not, I've had cold water gush down my back when I open it up after a storm. Since then, I've kept them clean with just a wire that I've cleaned the drains out. But, where do the drains go? I can't seem to find their outlet. Anyone know?

Also, if that's not the problem to the leak, what is? I think the seal around the passenger door might be letting water in. This is the only way that seems to explain why the whole passenger side gets soaked, rather than just the front, where the sunroof is. (But it's also possible that the water just pool up in the ceiling and pour through the ceiling all along the passenger side)

In addition, the windshield was replaced about half a year ago. Don't know if that's important, but I can't say I've noticed the issue before then. Don't quite recall though.

In conclusion, the passenger side, and only the passenger side, gets soaked after rain. The seats and floor in both the front and back get soaked. The drivers side is perfectly dry. Drains I make sure are clean, but I don't know where they go, does anyone? Please let me know

I've done nothing to the sunroof or doors to mess with the seals or drains, just fyi. And I don't know if the windshield replacement could cause it since the back seats get wet too.

Please help!

(P.S. Just for the heck of it, I parked in the opposite direction one night that it was going to rain badly than I usually do (Where I park is sorta half on the driveway and half off and half covered by trees and half not, with the passenger side usually in the driveway and the driver side on the dirt). As a result, the whole truck was dry the next morning, so I think it's just on the right side.)

Same problem here. I was out of town this past weekend, but it rained a total of about 7 inches over a two day period. I got in the truck this morning, and when I accelerated, water poured from the passenger dash area, just to the right of the glove box. I'm assuming it found it's way in through the AC/heater core box, but I don't know for sure...if anyone knows of a drain to check, etc....I'm listening.

Somewhere...somehow....there's a leak in my 01 Explorer Sport. It's on the passenger side...somewhere. After a couple instances where there have been torrential downpours, my passenger side seat, floor, and even back seat have been soaked in water. (As it's parked outside, all the time) So, it's been long enough, and this last time it rained it was pretty bad. (My poor girlfriend was sitting on a sponge :rant: )

So anyway, I've been trying to track down the leak. My dad thinks it's coming from the sun roof, but I think it's more like from the door. I've cleaned out the drains to the sunroof, and I make sure that they're always clean, because when they're not, I've had cold water gush down my back when I open it up after a storm. Since then, I've kept them clean with just a wire that I've cleaned the drains out. But, where do the drains go? I can't seem to find their outlet. Anyone know?

Also, if that's not the problem to the leak, what is? I think the seal around the passenger door might be letting water in. This is the only way that seems to explain why the whole passenger side gets soaked, rather than just the front, where the sunroof is. (But it's also possible that the water just pool up in the ceiling and pour through the ceiling all along the passenger side)

In addition, the windshield was replaced about half a year ago. Don't know if that's important, but I can't say I've noticed the issue before then. Don't quite recall though.

In conclusion, the passenger side, and only the passenger side, gets soaked after rain. The seats and floor in both the front and back get soaked. The drivers side is perfectly dry. Drains I make sure are clean, but I don't know where they go, does anyone? Please let me know

I've done nothing to the sunroof or doors to mess with the seals or drains, just fyi. And I don't know if the windshield replacement could cause it since the back seats get wet too.

Please help!

(P.S. Just for the heck of it, I parked in the opposite direction one night that it was going to rain badly than I usually do (Where I park is sorta half on the driveway and half off and half covered by trees and half not, with the passenger side usually in the driveway and the driver side on the dirt). As a result, the whole truck was dry the next morning, so I think it's just on the right side.)

I'm assuming it's dry in there now since it's been nice up here for the past few days..

Got a garden hose? If you do, turn it on and spray water over the suspected area while someone sits inside. You'll find your leak.

Back