Leak through overhead console... not drain lines. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Leak through overhead console... not drain lines.

thinger62

Reaction score
City, State
Green Bay, WI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Explorer XLT 7 pass.
I've got an '04 Explorer. I posted on this a year or so ago, and got one suggestion, to caulk it shut forever. Another summer is here, and I'd rather not have to keep it in the garage, and not use it when it's raining.

Usually, but not always, water leaks through the overhead console, coming out through the light switches and dripping onto my cupholders. Once I got a trickle down the windshield right in front of me. Rarely on a rainy day it won't leak. I've poured water on inclines both ways (pointing up and down) and water drains quickly and freely through all 4 drain lines. I don't have a satellite antenna and I've visually inspected all my factory roof rack feet.

I'm to the point where I'm ok with putting silicone around the sunroof and disconnecting it somehow, although I like it and use it. I'm not sure if that will solve the problem though. Does anybody have any ideas on what I could try or where I could look next? I'm stumped. Is there any chance the windshield could be leaking and somehow water gets into the overhead console? I don't see how, as it seems uphill to me.

I sure would appreciate any advice.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I had a leak in the exact same spot.
I silicone both the windshield weather stripping and the sunroof (never opened it.)
The leak is gone, but I don't know which fixed it.
Disconnect the sunroof by opening coupling in light switch area.

It seems to me you have 3 options:
1) caulk the outside hatch for the ceiling window (guess)
2) remove the headliner and do the investigation required to find the real problem (work)
3) Let it leak. (Give up)

Thanks for the advice folks.. I took it to a windshield place this morning. He pushed on the windshield near the top and it flexed away from the frame quite a bit. He's positive that is where the leak is coming from. $120 to reseat and seal, $185 if they break and have to replace the windshield. I'm just hoping whatever metal they have to glue it to is solid and not rusty. Pretty confident this is the problem though.

I'm certain my problem was the windshield too. It actually is above the leaking area.
Just run a bead of silicone under the seal. Do the upper half, on both sides (of seal).
Cheap easy fix that works. It's an old car, you're not trying to return it to showroom condition.

I have a similar issue w my 2015 rav4. Did the windshield replacement stop the leak?

Back