Leaking Coolant from rear of Explorer??? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Leaking Coolant from rear of Explorer???

You guys got away lucky. The nipples coming out of my rear heating unit rotted away, one actually blew off causing a major leak. I fabbed up a temporary bypass till I got to the shop. Had to replace the entire rear heater unit
Looked into mine further and looks like me heater is leaking from the nipples as well as a hose.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi

Dont forget to replace all the 4 heater pipes and 2 additional heater pipes near the spare tire
The outside ones become brittle since they placed near the exhaust tail pipe.

guys for those of you that have replaced the rear hoses that were leaking what part # or hose type did you use. 2013 Explorer Sport rear AC/Heater Core coolant leak.
I’ll hijack an old post as well!
I only see one coolant line going to the rear heater core on my 2014 Explorer, Ltd. The two wrapped lines are AC. So where’s the 2nd coolant hose? I’d like to bypass the heater core.

CC30AB82-961A-42E9-9C72-02DC9513E8AA.jpeg

This is the 4th gen explorer sub forum your car is the 5th gen may get better answers over in the correct sub forum. Anyway the two rubber lines on the left side of your picture are the coolant lines the two wrapped lines are the ac lines

My girlfriend just had a major issue with her ac lines on a 2013 limited explorer
I had just met her she took it to a shop and they replaced the lines
The one going to the rear and one in the front as well
The repairs went well
A few months later she’s on the interstate and her trans cooler gets a hole poked it it from a headlight bolt…the drivers side headlight one of the bolts is supper close to the trans cooler… it rubbed a hole in it…they put a longer bolt in it when it was put back together
What I’m looking for here…are some repair procedures that may show that they removed the plastic core support to get access to the cooling lines when they replaced them
Are there some ford repair procedures out there somewhere?
The good year store that did the work now is denying that the took the headlights off to remove the core support
So that they can deni her claim

My girlfriend just had a major issue with her ac lines on a 2013 limited explorer
I had just met her she took it to a shop and they replaced the lines
The one going to the rear and one in the front as well
The repairs went well
A few months later she’s on the interstate and her trans cooler gets a hole poked it it from a headlight bolt…the drivers side headlight one of the bolts is supper close to the trans cooler… it rubbed a hole in it…they put a longer bolt in it when it was put back together
What I’m looking for here…are some repair procedures that may show that they removed the plastic core support to get access to the cooling lines when they replaced them
Are there some ford repair procedures out there somewhere?
The good year store that did the work now is denying that the took the headlights off to remove the core support
So that they can deni her claim
Okay, I will post this again.
This is the 4th gen explorer sub forum 2006 to 2010 model year. The explorer you are asking about is a 5th gen and you will get better more accurate answers over in the 2011 to 2019 explorer sub forum.

As for repair procedure there may be one somewhere but you are going to have to pay to get it. It Is possibly on alldata or on ford's service site that the ford tech's use. But I can garentee when the repair was done they didn't use any repair manual. Here is why a repair procedure may tell you to remove the engine, drivetrain, the interior seats, dash, and let the air out of the tires to do an oil change. yes I am being a little sarcastic but they usually have many unnessary steps to get the same job done.

Sorry I cant be help more. Posting in the correct generation fourm will get you better results. below is a link where you should post.

Hi,
This happened in my 08 Ex Limited. The hose clamps fastening the pipes to the rear climate control were almost rusted away. All that was needed was to put on new hose clamps.
This happened to me too the clamps look like they are in but when you touch them they crumble

Same happened to my 2010. Hose clamp in rear was rotted away and leaking only under pressure.

Same happened to my 2010. Hose clamp in rear was rotted away and leaking only under pressure.
very common and if you didn't replace all 4 clamps you might want to.

The 2010 has six clamps. There are two where the pipes enter the floor, two were the hoses attach to piping and two above the rear axle, behind the spare tire where the pipes attach again to hoses. I didn't follow those hoses any further... Might as well replace them all.

The 2010 has six clamps. There are two where the pipes enter the floor, two were the hoses attach to piping and two above the rear axle, behind the spare tire where the pipes attach again to hoses. I didn't follow those hoses any further... Might as well replace them all.
well now i am going to have to go check mine. I only have seen the 4 neer the rear heater core and they are the only ones i have replaced. i think they fail quicker mainly it because they are always getting hit with water spray comming off the tire.

I didn't know about the other two either, until they just began leaking. Right between the spare tire and rear axle. Your salt's as bad as mine so yours are probably just about done also.

Back