• Register Today It's free!

leaky ranger

resqtaz

Reaction score
City, State
St. Petersburg, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 XLT
Hi everyone! I own a 2000 Ranger XLT with 110,000 miles on it. Its a standard 2 door cab with a split rear window. The leak I have is thankfully NOT an engine related leak...but rather my leak happens when it rains. I dont know where the water is getting in, but the only place that gets wet consistently is the passenger side floorboard. I cant see where the water is coming in, but my best guess is that its under the plastic molding that runs under the dash on the side of the cab between the door and engine compartment.
To confuse things a little more, when the leak first started, water would drip from the headliner behind the passenger seat right above the window. Occasionally, I still get moisture there, but I have stopped the actual dripping apparently by sealing around the third brake light and rear window with aquarium sealant.

My hope is that someone else has experienced this problem and in doing so has some ideas to try out?? Pouring water over suspected areas doesnt seem to create a leak (or at least not one big enough to be noticed) yet rain events ( I live in Florida so when it rains it pours) do. Ive tried watching to see what happens when its been raining to no avail..

You know, its like when you have some obscure issue and take the car to the garage to let the mechanic hear it (or see it)- when you want it to it just wont happen.

I am open to any suggestions...
:feedback:

It could be running in the seal around the front window. running all the way back on the roof then dripping on the headliner.

My first thought upon reading the title of this thread - its a Ford, its supposed to leak....;) :D

I used to have a 89 Ranger Regular Cab. I bought it new and I had a leak on the passenger side behind the door. I used to get water on the side carpet beside the seat.

On my truck, the leak was actually a small hole in the solder seam where they solder the joint between the roof and cab. I used silicone windshield sealant (like aquarium sealant but thinner to get into small crevices) and fixed the leak. I had the truck for 10 years and it never leaked after that.

Back