• Register Today It's free!

lean condition bank 1

ny50

Reaction score
City, State
Albany, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 xlt
I have a 97 5.0 with a check engine code reading a lean condition on bank one does anyone know which o2 sensor this might be, any help would be appreciated thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I believe Bank 1 is the passenger side... However we don't what the code was to determine if it was before the CAT or after.

thanks for the reply, but all the scanner said was lean condition bank one, i guess i could switch one to the drivers side and see if the code changes banks right?

O2 Sensor Bank 1

Greetings, I'm new to the forum. I have 1998 Eddie Bauer 5.0 with 114k on it. Had it since it had 24k. Eight months or so I replaced the convertors and 2 o2 sensor due to a check engine light issue. Now I'm ready to get an inspection stine and on goes the check engine light. The compter indicates o2 sensor bank 1 which I thought was the drivers side. We replaced the o2 sensor and rest set and bam after 20 miles or so back on goes the light. Today I failed my inspection after resetting the light the inspector tells me that the system hasn't recycled. I go to drive it and recycle for who knows how long and on comes the light. The inspection report is as follows.

Non-Continuous MonitorTests

Catalyst Not Complte Failed
Evaporative Systems Not Complete Failed
Oxygen Sensor Not Complete Failed
Oxygen Sensor Heater Not Complete Failed

I found an article that said an exhaust manifold leak could cause this problem and I do have a small manifold leak on the right hand side after going through a large puddle months ago. I'm leaning towads the leak athough I did see a previous posting saying that bank one is on the right side. Any thoughts.

Get it scanned for codes at autozone.. It could be a number of things in the emissions related area.. Just off my the top of my head, EGR valve, MAF sensor, an exhaust leak on your drivers or passenger side manifolds, etc..

It scanned left side bank 1 o2 sensor. Replaced the sensor and it still comes on. Sounds like the exhaust manifold?

Saltypiper said:
It scanned left side bank 1 o2 sensor. Replaced the sensor and it still comes on. Sounds like the exhaust manifold?

A code scanner will give you a code not a actual diagnosis. For example It may scan something like a P0171 or P0420.. It should be a P prefix number.

Back