Leather interior w/ pets, how does it hold up? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Leather interior w/ pets, how does it hold up?

kappaknight

Reaction score
City, State
Atlanta, GA
I'm interested in getting the charcoal leather interior and was wondering if any of you have already transported dogs and if it holds up well w/ pets. Do they get scratched/damaged over time? My cars now don't have leather so I can't compare.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I don't allow my animals on the leather.. too worried about a nail puncturing it.. my $0.02.

I don't allow my animals on the leather.. too worried about a nail puncturing it.. my $0.02.

Ditto (puncturing or scratching the leather)

I have two medium size dogs, and always make them stay in the back. So far, they've not tried to climb over the seat. But if they do, I'll get a cargo gate like I had in my last vehicle.

Do you guys put a WeatherTech cargo holder or something similar in the back for the dogs? My other vehicle is a Honda Fit and when I had my two small dogs in the back, they slid around a lot. It was funny, but I don't think they liked it.

yes the dogs nails will scatch or puncture your leather. Had a friends dog in the back and he climbed over into the back seat and left a nice 6 inch scratch on the seat. I wasnt mad though, Its a 1993 so interior isnt the best/newest anyways. But I definetly wouldnt let any pets up front if it was in better condition.

Dog claws will definitely scratch the leather. My wife had a boxer that always went with us places in our 09 Edge Lmtd and he scratched the leather like crazy because he wouldn't stay in the cargo area. After I finally got rid of the dog, I had to get rid of the Edge too because the marks drove me nuts on a brand new vehicle.

We have a black lab/boxer mix take him all the time, black leather no problems just muddy sometimes. we keep his nail cut short. Going to be a Service Dog.

You can't beat leather for dogs. Durable and super easy clean-up.

We have two beagles and have never had any problems w/ scratched leather. If you keep their nails at the proper length it shouldn't be an issue unless your dogs are super hyper. And even then, I would be more worried about the non-leather surfaces, such as the vinyl sides & backs of the seats.

We even purchased leather furniture for the house because it holds up the best w/ the dogs.

We always kept our dog's nails short and never had scratching problems, and having leather is a lot better than cloth in case the dog has an "accident," and their hair won't get into the leather like it would cloth.

Do you guys put a WeatherTech cargo holder or something similar in the back for the dogs? My other vehicle is a Honda Fit and when I had my two small dogs in the back, they slid around a lot. It was funny, but I don't think they liked it.

My dogs don't seem to slide around. Temporarily I have a piece of indoor/outdoor carpet that I got at Lowe's back there. Hopefully I'll be purchasing a hard liner that I can take out and hose off.

My dogs don't seem to slide around. Temporarily I have a piece of indoor/outdoor carpet that I got at Lowe's back there. Hopefully I'll be purchasing a hard liner that I can take out and hose off.

You know now that I think of it a peice of carpet would have been perfect and cheaper then a cargo mat, just don't get astro turf or the dog may think it is grass and go when ever he wants to lol.

I'm interested in getting the charcoal leather interior and was wondering if any of you have already transported dogs and if it holds up well w/ pets. Do they get scratched/damaged over time? My cars now don't have leather so I can't compare.

I just picked up my XLT with charcoal leather on Friday. I had the same debate and spoke to several friends who have leather and dogs and they never had a problem. They all said it was easy to clean - just took a damp cloth versus fabric which can start to smell doggy.

Our dog isn't liking the leather much because she slides, but had since put down a blanket on the seat tucked it in and now everyone is happy. Looking for a seat cover for the back in the meantime.

On another note I'm also keeping the dogs nails short and a great tip I was given one time is if their nails are long including the quiks (the vein in the nail) if you use hemmroid cream on the nails every day for a week or two, it will shrink the quiks so the nails can be shorter.

Back