Leather Seats and Warranty | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Leather Seats and Warranty

km9376

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Ford Explorer Sport
Has anyone had to have their leather seats repaired (tear) and are they under warranty? I have a 2016 Explorer Sport that is 1 week old and only driven 1 day and I just noticed there is a small tear in the front part of the driver seat. Wondering if this is covered under warranty? I only put 30 miles on it, but it was driven by the dealer just over 250 miles for it to be delivered. I did not notice the tear until today when I moved the car out of the garage. I plan on calling the dealer on Monday but wondered if anyone knows if this would be covered under warranty.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you have a good dealership I don't think they would fight you too much on this (hopefully). Being so new with so few miles I would think they would consider fixing it. The biggest issue will be if they decide that it was abnormal wear and tear caused by you and they could try to deny it.

Make them aware of it immediately. You do not want Ford to be able to blame it on you.

Has anyone had to have their leather seats repaired (tear) and are they under warranty? I have a 2016 Explorer Sport that is 1 week old and only driven 1 day and I just noticed there is a small tear in the front part of the driver seat. Wondering if this is covered under warranty? I only put 30 miles on it, but it was driven by the dealer just over 250 miles for it to be delivered. I did not notice the tear until today when I moved the car out of the garage. I plan on calling the dealer on Monday but wondered if anyone knows if this would be covered under warranty.

According to Ford website, i think you have 7 days to see if there is any damage after receive your car from dealership. There are many long treads about Explorer seats getting wrecked fast. People just seem glad to find an alternative shop to repair them.
I have been driving my sport 16 for about a month. I am not fat, just tall, 6" 5' but I can see the left side of the seat a bit wrinkled up a bit. Not sure what to do. Maybe its normal wear and tear leather.

The perf leather seat is a leatherette 2 piece seat cover; a seat cushion & cover, and the rest of the seat-the entire upright section.

(fyi when i was discussing with salesman, and I mentioned "aw these days who knows what its really made of?" he replied "oh no no, this is real leather - the part of the seat
that touches your body is all leather.")

With that in mind IMO the seats are soft vinyl with only the perforation being leatherette.
3rd row are 100% vinyl. Havent seen them yet? Raise them and look closely. That aint leather.
Large stitching on the seat cushion is likely fake, the seat cover isnt thick enough to utilize that stitching.
Look at the far rear of the seat cushion and look down where the seat belt clips in-see the flannel and how its stitched to the leatherette/vinyl?

Mine was just replaced due to a tear in the drivers outside seam, right at the curve where the stitching meets, above the seat controls.
The vinyl tore away from the stitch line, it was easy to see since the vinyl backing is white. It appeared as a tiny white line that kept getting longer.
It was 1/4" long. Again, on the side- that aint leather.

Pics are required to be sent in by dealer and Ford determines what they will do.
At first they said they would not replace due to they could not determine how the seat cover was damaged.

The service rep pleaded what i told him, its only got 16500 miles and is garaged most of the time, how is it damaged at all?

In the end they replaced under warranty.
1 Cover Asy - Seat Cushion-429.16
They didnt have a full work order to give me and wanted me to leave and they would mail it. lol
I asked if they could copy the shop order and it has a number in the item line, but its not a part number.

With that in mind IMO the seats are soft vinyl with only the perforation being leatherette.

Seats are described by Ford as "perforated leather-trimmed heated and cooled bucket seats".

As blwnsmoke stated, take it back to the dealer. The vehicle is under warranty.

Peter

Thanks for replies

Thanks to those who replied. I took it back to the dealer and they took pictures and submitted to Ford who denied the tear as warranty since it was not on a seam or appear to be a defect. The dealer however agreed that it should not have torn with so little drive time and believe perhaps it got scored by a knife when the plastic was removed, and then the first few times it was driven caused it to tear. They replaced the seat cover at no cost to me.

Good to hear but what the hell are they doing using a knife to remove the plastic? Lol

Thanks to those who replied. I took it back to the dealer and they took pictures and submitted to Ford who denied the tear as warranty since it was not on a seam or appear to be a defect. The dealer however agreed that it should not have torn with so little drive time and believe perhaps it got scored by a knife when the plastic was removed, and then the first few times it was driven caused it to tear. They replaced the seat cover at no cost to me.

Great dealer!

Back