LED "bulbs" and colored lenses...

JarheadK5

Reaction score
City, State
PA; the world
Year, Model & Trim Level
'03 Mountaineer 4.6
Stupid question time:

If I were to install LED replacement "bulbs" similar to these in my brake lights, would I be better off using a white LED through the red lens, or use a red LED through the red lens?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You may want to go with white. The red lense on the tail lights is going to filter out most of the usable light with a red led. Unless you change your light to a clear one.

Orlando

Those are excellent LED bulbs. At 7 watts, the red and amber versions are actually brighter than the incandescent they replace.

I'm running the exact same LEDs in my 02' Explorer XLT. They are only available from V-LED.com. I have the red in brake light, and amber in the front turn marker/turn signals. The 02' Explorer doesn't have any bulb warning, so I didn't need any load resistors. Only requirement is to install a LED flasher for the turn signals.

I also converted the third brake light to LED, but that took some work and required modifying the internal reflectors. I'm pretty happy with the whole LED brake light/turn signal mod.

Run red LEDs with red lenses. The white LEDs are made using a different process and would be dimmer in a red lense than a red LED of the same wattage.

No no no.

Red lens = red LED.

Amber lens = amber LED.

A normal white incandescent light bulb puts out light over a wide spectrum of colors. The red lens filters out all of these except red, which is why it looks red.

LEDs put out an extremely narrow spectrum of light, at a very specific frequency (color). Put it behind a different colored lens, and you'll be filtering out virtually all of the light.

If you have clear lenses, then just use whatever color LED you want the light to appear.

If you do not have clear lenses, then the LED must be the same color as the lens.

x2 on all this info, red=red amber=amber unless the lens is clear, go with what color you need

I wish they made those for 1st gens :(

Back