• Register Today It's free!

Left rear door latch won't open!

MillerAPF97XLT

Reaction score
City, State
Branson, MO
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Explorer XLT
The day we picked this truck up, the key fob remote unlocked ALL the doors one time, and all four doors opened and closed correctly. But that one time was all the left rear door latch had left in it, I guess. It has not opened since. After pulling the inner door panel off (yes, it's a challenge with the door stuck closed!), seems like I remember the lock actuator extending and retracting properly, and the inner and outer handles move the levers on the latch like they should. But the latch never offers to open. I've disconnected all the rods from the latch, sprayed it with lube, tapped with a hammer, pried with various instruments, all to no avail. I'm now weighing two options - 1. Take the latch apart from inside the door with a dremel tool, and 2. Take the door off the hinges and back the striker out with it closed in the latch to gain access to the screws holding the latch in. Before I start getting crazy with either of these two, am I overlooking something less destructive or intrusive? If anybody else has encountered this issue, what was YOUR fix? As always, any input is greatly appreciated. TIA - Chris:usa:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You haven't mentioned anything about the child door lock lever located on the end of the door, yet I doubt it's the cause but I'm just throwing it out there.

Also, I remember on the front door there was a nut holding the lock motor? Actuator?
Anyway it broke and just had to be remounted on one of mine, is there something similar on the rear door?

I haven't had many door/lock/window follies so it's not really fresh in my cranium.

Hey, Robman. If the child lock were on, wouldn't we still be able to open the door from the outside? Kinda unfamiliar with this feature; this is the first car I've ever owned that had it. As for the lock actuator, I think I left it in place and just disconnected the rod from the latch. A comparison to the passenger side door is in order. BTDubs, I liked your chug vs. sip analogy in my cooling thread. Very nice! Chris:usa:

Hey, Robman. If the child lock were on, wouldn't we still be able to open the door from the outside? Kinda unfamiliar with this feature; this is the first car I've ever owned that had it. As for the lock actuator, I think I left it in place and just disconnected the rod from the latch. A comparison to the passenger side door is in order. BTDubs, I liked your chug vs. sip analogy in my cooling thread. Very nice! Chris:usa:

Well I just figured maybe you have 2 things broken in there, the door innards are just a ratsnest in my brain at the moment.

I've had a few Budweisers so commenting on the chug/sip thing just felt right :D
I've been perusing the Explorer Forum more than usual lately.. winter has struck..slightly.

Really had not even considered the child safety lock. That's definitely worth a look. So you're spending more time on the interwebs looking at stuff like this, and less time playing with outdoor toys, because winter has set in? I'm guessing your "Ontario" is in Canada, then, and NOT California? If so, I get it; I spent 18 months stationed in Michigan, and I was pretty sure spring, summer and fall all happened in one week!

Okay, so, the right rear door, which is still all together, does not open from inside with the child lock on OR off. It opens with the outer handle with the child lock on or off, though. Based on another thread I'm watching and the presence of a few others, this might be a thing.

Yep, Ontario, Canada.

Does seem like a few threads of the similar issue has popped up all of a sudden.

Back