Rear Door Latch Problems

Lyle Walters

Reaction score
City, State
Singleton
Year, Model & Trim Level
new South Wales
Hello from Australia

Being a new member and new at this forum thing I am probably not even in the right area, so I am fumbling through this.

A bit of history - I have owned a 2000 model XLT Explorer since new and it now has 116,000 km on the clock. I mainly use it for towing a boat (keen fisherman) I occasionally do some offroad. I have been more than pleased with its performance over the years and like anything as it gets older things start to fail. Fortunately I have only had one major cost and that was a front wheel bearing assembly.

During the Christmas break I drove the car from the east coast of Australia (near Sydney) to the West coast of Australia (Perth) and back which was a trip of almost 14,000km. This was a trouble free trip.

My problem is that the rear hatch latch has had the connecting rod come off and I cannot open the rear hatch.

I am after a schematic of the rear hatch locking assembly so that I can see how to get the hatch open and do the repairs.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

whenever doors get stuck at the bodyshop i work at we have to find a way to pull the interior panel or part of it without destroying it and open the latch.

I had a problem with the lock actuator when you unlock it the lock would fall back down. I had to insert key and hold to unlock while I open rear hatch. I had to replace actuator.

Rear Hatch problems

Thanks Rick I eventually got the trim off enough to get inside and open the hatch. Once I got inside to the lock assembly I found that the plastic connection from the handle to the mechanism had failed so it is off to the dealer to source a new one.

Thanks to all who had suggestions.

I will now visit this site for updates.

One thing I did not mention in my intro was that I have fitted 2 Hiclones to the air intake of my car and have noticed an improvement in performance and fuel economy. If you have not heard of these units go to http://www.hiclone.com.aufor more info.

Regards

Lyle Walters

No Parts for this latch in Australia

Well it is one saga after another. I now have the rear hatch open and have found the problem and require some new parts. I go to my Ford Dealer and am politely told that they no longer stock these parts for a 2000 model Explorer.

If anyone reads this forum and nows of a US Ford Dealer who stocks the part, would you please provide me with their Email address so I can order from them.

The part I am after is :

Link Tailgate - Latch Release Rod - F87Z78431A78B

I am certain that being a US manufactured vehicle it should not be a problem to obtain the part.

Here's hoping I get lucky||||

Regards
Lyle Walters

Back