• Register Today It's free!

let's try this again...

Styx

Reaction score
City, State
Chilliwack BC Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
02 eddy 93&13 limited
OK so this time I'm doing the SAS on a first gen...
If you follow some of my posts you might remember my 99 I did an SAS on. I loved that truck but family first right...
This time I'm building a 93 limited.
I picked up the truck off a friend that was moving and couldn't take it along... the front suspention was all bent up but the rest of it was mint. So off I went..
As you may recall my last build took all of 8 long days and I had a fully equipped shop with a hoist,plazma cutter and welders... well this time I'm doing it in my driveway with Jack stands and grinders and a much smaller yet very capable mig...
I'm also going radius arms out of an early bronco I've had kicking around for a few years now...
Fast forward to today arms are in and I have the diff all shaved down...
Again I'm sticking with what I know works well but haters gonna hate right...
Back is stock 8.8 flipped to soa and added leafs when I figure the hight of the front.
The front is a D30 out of an 02 grand Cherokee...
I'll go over prices when all is said and done...
Who wants to see some pictures???

Attachments

• 1442696984927.jpg
    1442696984927.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 427
  • 1442697018446.jpg
    1442697018446.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 395
  • 1442697064889.jpg
    1442697064889.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 387
  • 1442697088338.jpg
    1442697088338.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 382
  • 1442697117342.jpg
    1442697117342.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 396

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I like that with the D30 our of a Jeep and using the radius arms from a Bronco or F150. I am gonna follow this thread so I can follow Suit. I know a buddy that has a D30 from his Jeep.

Thanks Worms I'll try and keep the posts coming as much as possible... Take a look at my 99 build if your into it... The D30 is plenty strong even stock. just go 35 or under and don’t be stupid...lol...
Cheers...

I wants the Limited Grille. Pronto!! That's one of those wine colored Limiteds. That's a rare truck nowadays. Look, even the rear bumper cover is wine colored. I love it !!

Are you going to run that much angle on the radius arm? Or are you going to get some brackets? I'm not sure how that will sit with a D30, maybe it will sit right as is.

Putting on brackets will definitely lower the angle but I want to keep the middle up as high as possible for wheeling... I can weld the wedges on where ever I want them so steering angle isn’t an issue... As far as movement and travel it seems OK so far... I put that 2x4 in there to see how much travel I'll have and it seems good... Almost as good as my 99 was but springs will tell the story...

Cheers...

And I do like the colour of it stands out in a crowd... Even the seats are all in great shape tan leather heated seats...

Yea buddy of mine said he had a D30 and D35 that had 37's on it. He just didn't drive like an asshat. :) And what I plan on doing do not really need really heavy duty axles. I love climbing in the rocks but I do not use the skinny peddle alot. I like crawling

Help me understand here, because a lot of this is outside my knowledge...

Assuming D30 is a solid Dana 30 axle, why would it be better than the TTB Dana 35? Is it purely for the solid axle feel rather than the strength? I would think the Dana 35 would be stronger.

Well as said first off the original front end was bent... The park pall let go when it was parked in my friends driveway and it took an unscheduled trip across the road and up onto some cement dividers... Not happy... I'm not a huge fan of the TTB system as it is in the first gen explorers. there are far too many weak links... The diff itself is very strong but the working angles are weak... A solid can be lifted higher safely and remain strong... Yer a D44 would be better... But I want to retain ABS, axle width and wheel bolt pattern... I'm not into wheel spacers... Don't get me wrong TTB is OK just not for this cat...

Cheers...

Good points. If you're going to push it far, there's only so much a TTB will do, at least the Dana 35 TTB. The 50's with leaf springs are pretty nice. Will be interesting to watch your progress.

Working lots of hours at work so not too much going on with the build... I did get it into the garage from around the side of the house with the help of my 11 year old son... a bit of a bugger to drive with no front end I'd say...lol... had to use my jack and had my boy drive it back really slow while I worked the jack... First time he drove a vehicle... He had such a smile once the nerves calmed down... Nothing much to see tho...
This weekend should get the axle in and the wedges welded on and springs figures out and ordered... Then axle-shafts steering and... Oh ya brakes... Then the back and its good to go...

Cheers...

OK let's try it again....
Some of the start of the weekend and one of the wife's 02 with 6 inches of lift and 285/775R16's...

Attachments

• 1443294057171.jpg
    1443294057171.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 303
  • 1443294044993.jpg
    1443294044993.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 301
  • 1443294028568.jpg
    1443294028568.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 303

OK no track bar yet but suprizingly the stock jeep coils put it at about stock hight...lol...
Steering should all bolt up ok... yes I'm going higher but it's now back on its own weight...
Damn I wish I still had a shop with a hoist to work in...lol...

Attachments

• 1443300587029.jpg
    1443300587029.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 297

Got a little bit done this weekend the steering is all done I ordered springs I'll see how they work when they get here. Went with 6" ranger coils. I won't have to relocate the radius arms as I was thinking... They line up just fine... Got one end of the track bar done but not welded in yet need the coils in first...
Sorry no pictures...

OK this weekend I got the 6" ranger coils in and sitting on its own weight...
Track bar mount for the axle end is built but not installed.. thinking I'm going to narrow the axle a couple inches next weekend so I'll wait on that to fit the track bar...
It's sitting about 9" above stock so far but I'm looking at another 2 or so plus tires by the time I'm done... I loosened off all the u bolts and shackles in the back in prep for the SOA...

Have a good week everyone...

Well it's been a while since i posted and there is really no new news to post on the build I was on hold due to weather and time constraints. that and go the ok from the wife to build this in the back yard. 28x37... That should be enough room...

Attachments

• shop 1.jpg
    shop 1.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 176

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So been busy building g the shop... wanted to treat the wife to a little nicer ride...
2013 limited...

Attachments

• 20160514_184553.jpg
    20160514_184553.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 125

Back