Life expectancy for 4.0 SOHC | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Life expectancy for 4.0 SOHC

My 98 4.0 Sohc has made it 340k, but now the cassettes are making noise... it has gone about 30k without the speedo and odo because it stops in heat...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My 98 4.0 Sohc has made it 340k, but now the cassettes are making noise... it has gone about 30k without the speedo and odo because it stops in heat...
Do some research on preoilers

The main issue I found was high engine temp causing the tensioner plastic to get brittle with time, dropped thermostat temp to 175° and got 225,000 out of 3 different vehicles like clockwork

Why don't more people change the tensioners preemptively? I just discovered recently how easy it is. They are external and unscrew easily. I will be doing it in the near future; I just got the parts from Ford. Isn't the seal in the tensioner that blows out what makes them go bad since they will not hold oil pressure on a cold start?

I have had my v8 for close to 9 years now and never read much about that wonderful piece of art from Ford called 4.0 SOHC. Now, that I got also 07 with v6 now with 116k miles, I need to get educated.

Can you guys post the highest mileage you squeezed out of the v6 before the timing issues ?
What is the most common failure on those ? Do I need to pull the motor out to do the rear cassette ? Are the guides the main problem ? I watched a video where the plastic pieces of guides fell down and blocked the oil pump and starved the engine of oil. Anything else I need to know about the ?
Tech by Trade - I hope for you to chime in (seriously).

Thanks

I have had my v8 for close to 9 years now and never read much about that wonderful piece of art from Ford called 4.0 SOHC. Now, that I got also 07 with v6 now with 116k miles, I need to get educated.

Can you guys post the highest mileage you squeezed out of the v6 before the timing issues ?
What is the most common failure on those ? Do I need to pull the motor out to do the rear cassette ? Are the guides the main problem ? I watched a video where the plastic pieces of guides fell down and blocked the oil pump and starved the engine of oil. Anything else I need to know about the ?

Thanks
194858and I'm ready to pull the engine out
because the timing chain needs to be replaced

Thanks
Hi I just bought a Land Rover 2006 discovery factory fitted with a Ford 4L V6 the motor was in a bad way both Frount and back timing chain tensioners had disinterested the Frount chain had taken out the chain tensioner and the timing chain had worn through the plastic tappet cover we also replaced six bent inlet valves and the right hand side camshaft the motor had done 313000kms. My 2007 Currier 4x4 truck is fitted with the same motor an has done 210000kms and I will be replacing the timing chains, cassettes, and tensioners with a Malling set in the very near future.

2003 V6 - just hit 180k with no engine failures. This engine still runs great and doesn't have any sign of dying at this point.
2008 V6 - just hit 100k with no engine failures.

*Both engines have had the radiator replaced and thermostat housing replaced due to leaks.
I got 236000 on my 2002 4.0 sohc sportrack and it stumbled about 2 weeks ago.Since I can't afford a good code reader ( I tried a 35 doll on fe but to me it gave nothing .I had an old manual and tested cam sensor it showed bad do replaced it fuel filter never had changed so I went an did but nothing h e lpedso since the tach isn't moving I went and changed sparkpmugs and crank sensor
.the pld plugs were toast and it s cranks but don't start it will spit finally an do a phoom! Not real loud .turns good tach not moving .anyone for ideas I can use help . I m not a mechanic but also can't afford one on my income.I pray it's not the time chain ..any input welcomed

Thanks
I have a 1994 Ford Explorer with a 4.0 V6. I purchased it used in 2010 with almost 200,000 miles on it. Had to rebuild all four power window motors do little tubes that go in there. Put a radiator in it two water pumps. Upper and lower hoses two batteries since then brakes. Power steering hoses. But I have yet to take the motor apart except for installing a new thermostat and I just crossed 400,000 miles to be precise 400337 miles. It goes through about 1 quart of oil a week but to me that is still cheaper than buying a used motor and putting it in or buying a rebuilt motor and putting it in I would like to see 500,000 miles then take a picture of my odometer and send it to Ford I love this engine

Vincent - i think you have a different 4.0

Thanks
Hi

Thanks
hi I pulled my v6 down when the head gasket blew on my

Thanks

I have a 1994 Ford Explorer with a 4.0 V6. I purchased it used in 2010 with almost 200,000 miles on it. Had to rebuild all four power window motors do little tubes that go in there. Put a radiator in it two water pumps. Upper and lower hoses two batteries since then brakes. Power steering hoses. But I have yet to take the motor apart except for installing a new thermostat and I just crossed 400,000 miles to be precise 400337 miles. It goes through about 1 quart of oil a week but to me that is still cheaper than buying a used motor and putting it in or buying a rebuilt motor and putting it in I would like to see 500,000 miles then take a picture of my odometer and send it to Ford I love this engine
Hi it’s not as difficult as it looks I pulled my V6 2007 Ford Currier engine down to replace the blown head gasket and was able to time the motor without the timing tools, there are YouTube sites you can go to to see how it’s done the truck has done 200ks now and I will be replacing the timing chains from a reputable company like Melleng. I have a just acquired a 2006 Land Rover discovery V6 with a blown motor the motor had done 314ks before the timing chain cassette let go we were able to rebuild the motor and found 6 bent exhaust valves, right hand cam was bent and was replaced with one out of a 98 Ford explore we honed the Cylinders, fitted new piston rings and bigend bearings, sealed, gaskets and water pump.The timing chain kit was from Cloyes I am a bit concerned about the Quality of this kit as the chains were loose in the links only time will tell.

Oil changes every 3k and ford oil filter is about all you can do. Highest milage on stock chains I have seen is about 230k. Usually the main tensioner fails somewhere after 150k but some people ignore it and let the pieces get down to the oil pickup.

I have seen plenty of even 97-98s even make it to 200k on stock chains, they all were taken care of though.
I know this is an old post but I now have 255K on my 2003 explorer with the 4.0L. My mechanic did say that the timing chain looked worn out when he replaced my valve cover gaskets.

I know this is an old post but I now have 255K on my 2003 explorer with the 4.0L. My mechanic did say that the timing chain looked worn out when he replaced my valve cover gaskets.
the chain or the guides? the chain doesnt stretch a whole lot in my experience, replaced the original primary guides (the other chains guides are still OE) in summeer 21 at 310k no slack that i could tell

The more interesting part is that you have a 2003 in Pa and is still drivable without it being rusted to pieces. :) BTW- I live in Pa.

Although I don't understand it very well, I read it with relish

Thanks
Well, mine has 176,500 on it and no rattle from the engine. Previous owner changed the oil! Semi synthetic for them, synthetic for me. Once a year for me as I don't do a lot of miles so far.

Ford 4L V6 I have had my v8 for close to 9 years now and never read much about that wonderful piece of art from Ford called 4.0 SOHC. Now, that I got also 07 with v6 now with 116k miles, I need to get educated.

Thanks

Hi im from the land of oz were we have these motors fitted to Ford Explorers, Ford Curriers and Land Rover Discoveries, The 4L V6 has a long design history and as a push rod motor in the early 1970 was a reliable motor but with greater emission demands, ford engineers decided to make it an overhead cam engine be it on a shoe string budget, hence the cam that drove the pushrod became a drive for the overhead cam chains situated at the front and rear of the motor. We have a 2007 Ford Currier 4L V6 with 250,000ks on it and we use synthetic oil changed at 5k intervals as well we have a 2005 Ford built Land Rover Discovery 3 with the same motor 4L V6 we bought it with the motor not going with a broken rear timing chain cassette, six bent Exhaust valves, a bent cam and a ground down chain adjuster we replaced all the damaged parts with parts suplies through Amazon the timing kit, gasket set, these parts were all made in China. The motor lasted 100klms two hours . We rebuilt the motor again with a new hi flow oil pump new timing chain kit again Chinese, and Polaris manually adjusted chain tensioners this motor lasted 8000klms the rear cassette exploded and launched through the plastic timing cover the only thing that saved the valves was the Polaris solid chain adjuster that now was being worn down by the chain. I hope this information helps.

Original engine.
Changed Chain Tensioners (preventative maint.)
Replaced Radiator (2x)
Replaced thermostat housing with aluminum piece (Failed)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

original engine & trans
primary guide & tensioner replaced at 310k, hydraulic tensioner changed at 310k
rad once
2 t stat housings, one crack one prev.
intake gasket
iac
pct valve

rest was maintainence (ie fluids etc)

Back