• Register Today It's free!

Lift My Explorer

BlindFaith429

Reaction score
City, State
Connecticut
Year, Model & Trim Level
2009 Ford Escape Sport
So I am daily driving a 1999 Ford Explorer Sport with the 4.0L OHV motor (if I recall correctly). It is pushing 175k, and still runs great. It also has the 5-speed stick. It is a 2WD model.

As of right now, it is all stock. It is actually pretty fun to drive, and has allot of pep to it. I've been driving it for about a year and a half now in this configuration, but I was thinking it might be fun to do a little work to it and make it even more fun.

The body is not in the best shape, it has some rust on the rockers, but not too bad. Enough to make me not really care about the outside, like scratches / dings / dents etc, but it's not bad enough to need work or require patches or anything of that nature.

Sooooo... I want to lift it a little. A few inches maybe, and find some decent tires at a swap meet or craigs list. Again, just to change it up a little.

I had a 2000 Ranger 4X4 prior to this explorer, and I was able to crank up the torsion bars in the front to give me 2" of extra height, and I added blocks to the back to lift the back 2". Was an inexpensive way to get a little lift, and be able to fit 31-10.50-15's on it.

What is an inexpensive way to get some extra lift on my explorer? Does my explorer have torsion bars in the front like my ranger? Or maybe a set of drop spindles since I have a 2wd model?

Thanks!

Bend down and have a look :)

Torsion bars, same as your Ranger.. don't lift the front too high with just a torsion twist... They say 2" is the most you'll want to get out of it.

Shackles in the rear for a little more height, re-arched leaf springs too.

Roman, Thanks for the info. I looked under the Explorer just now. It looks very similar to my Ranger, but a little different. Probably because my Ranger was 4wd and my Explorer is 2wd.

I was also looking at the spring-over-axel conversions, pretty good bang-for-your-buck when you buy the kits. From what I read, people are getting about 6" of lift by doing those kits. Not sure how to easily raise the front that much though to make it look somewhat level. Also not sure I want that much lift, but something to consider.

I loved the look of my Ranger with the 2" lift and the 31's on it. Gave it a much better look and lifted it a few inches (lift on the truck plus larger diameter tires). Perhaps the torsion bar lift / shackles would be the best way to get a couple inches and not break the bank.

Yep.. shackles and TT is pretty much what most people do.
TT is free, just takes alittle bit of time and a jack.(+ ratchet and socket)
Shackles, well.. make some like I did or buy some warrior shackles(or similar)
The new shackles will have to be pretty long to get some lift, if you have a trailer hitch, make sure the shackles won't hit it.

Back