• Register Today It's free!

Lift n00b

NagChampa

Reaction score
City, State
Warshinton
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 Eddie Baurer
I am really new to the off road scene and to liftin as well. I am hoping to lift my '93 Explorer 4x4 4dr. But I have no clue were to start or what to look at. I know that this is a broad Q but I am so new I don't even know what Q's to ask.

Thx alot.

I lost n00b

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

well start by going to search, then try typing in "LIFT" ? u might get a few threads

How high do you want to lift? There are lifts from 2" to 6" and you could also do a body lift. If you really want it high, get the SuperLift 5.5" lift with a 3" body lift.

For lift height i was thinking around 4 - 5 inch lift. What is the difference between suspension and body lift? Which is best for what?

Also I was noticed on the camburg site for lifts they along with lift height they also give a travel example "10" travel" what does this mean?

And as a side note I do plan on offroading and not being a pavement pounder.

I can answer the first question...

A suspension lift replaces parts of your suspension, so it lowers the axles, and raises the frame... this, plus bigger tires, is what gives you a lot of ground clearance so you can go over boulders and junk...

A body lift replaces your body mounts... Your body is raised off the frame, and your bigger tires are the only thing that gives you more ground clearance...

A body lift is pretty much good for looks and to get bigger tires... It's also a cheap lift kit if you're not a hardcore wheeler, but like the look of a lifted truck... The only problem with body lifts, as far as looks, is on some vehicles you can see the frame under the body after the lift... That doesn't look so good in my opinion, but whatever makes ya happy I guess...

A suspension lift is probably your best bet... They cost a LOT more, but it's worth it, because getting a 3 inch suspension lift vs. a 3 inch body lift not only LOOKS better, but you also have 3 inches of extra ground clearance (plus, again, whatever you gain from bigger tires, probably around 4-5 inches total lift) for going over boulders, trees, sleeping bears, and such...

About wheel travel... I have no clue, never heard of it...

Are there different levels of suspension lifts? I mean quality wise and what you can do with them, offroading and what they can handle?

For suspension you can get a 1.5, 2, 4, 5.5, an 6 inch lift. It just depends what your gonna do. What size tires you wanna run? And how much you wanna spend.

Wheel travel is how much drop you have in your tires and how well your axles flex allow more.

Do a search for skyjacker, superlift, trailmaster, and I think Tough Country make a 4" lift for your explorer too. Skyjacker is I believe 2". Superlift has two kits-- a 4" kit and a 5.5" kit. Trailmaster is 4". If you want you can ask me questions about Trailmaster since I have it on my explorer. Oh yeah, Skyjacker also makes a 6" lift I believe.
If you have any questions, feel free to ask away. Someone on this site WILL be able to help you.
Ryan

I am not 100% sure as of yet to what size of tire I wanna get, I am thinking 31's or 32's.

Who installed your guys lift kits? did you guys do them yourselves?

If you want 32s, the Trailmaster 4" lift is perfect. That is what I'm running. I'm sure the Tough Country and SuperLift 4" systems are fine, they are just different in minor ways.
I installed my lift lift on my own w/ my dad over the course of one weekend. It was pretty straight forward.

When you get a lift and bigger tires does it decrease your power? and top speed?

Yes, the larger tires will be harder to turn so your acceleration will be a little slower. It won't be a large difference though with just 31s or 32s. When you move up to 35s or so you need to change out pinion gears to a lower ratio to compensate for the larger tires.

Maybe this is a reaaally dumb question....

But do you have to change tire size with say a 4" lift? Will it just scream "I want to rollover" with 265/70/R15s and a 4" lift? They are alot wider than stock, and I just wondered if huge tires were necessary for stability.

If you leave stock 235/75/R15 tires on there, it looks very stupid. When I did my lift, I didn't get my 32's for about a week, and it looked retarded.
A wider stance does help a little when it comes to stability.
There are no dumb questions here. :)
-Ryan

Hey Rino did you have to run extended brake lines with that Trailmaster?

No, I didn't.
Trailmaster sends relocation adapters with the kit to use original brake lines. It works better that way, however, Ford OEM brake line brackets in the front are a pain in the butt to try and get off. Your best bet is to disconnect the brake line and slip the bracket off and then just bleed the brakes when you get the brakelines attached to wgere they need to be.
Ryan

Back