• Register Today It's free!

Lift questions

jamie8470

Reaction score
City, State
Arizona
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 V6 4x4 XLT
Based on what I've read on these forums, a 3" body lift combined with a 3" spacer lift with 285/75 tires would be best for off-roading.
Is this true?
About how much would it set me back to have this work done - $2500ish I'm guessing?
Can I expect to have any problems with this set up besides reduced gas mileage and some slight rubbing at full turn lock?
Would a negative offset help for off roading?
Would aftermarket wheels marketed as off-roading wheels help for off roading as well?

Thank you very much. 👍

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Based on what I've read on these forums, a 3" body lift combined with a 3" spacer lift with 285/75 tires would be best for off-roading.
Is this true?
About how much would it set me back to have this work done - $2500ish I'm guessing?
Can I expect to have any problems with this set up besides reduced gas mileage and some slight rubbing at full turn lock?
Would aftermarket wheels marketed as off-roading wheels help for off roading as well?

Thank you very much. 👍
im not sure of the specifics but for max lift many do a bl and spacer lift iirc. ss far ss cost, usually bl is maybe 300, spacer lift is round there too. iirc rancho or some company also makes new struts for these made for lift, but idk. thats more $$$ but the route inmight go if it were mine. if you DIY it wuld probably be like 1700ish depending on the tires you get id guess, maybe 2k for nice tires. also not sure what the stock size is and how mych it changes to the new suze but if the size jump is too large it taxes the tranny and what not, so it would be advisable to regear depending on how large the jump is.

negative offset doesnt i herijtly help with anything, but it can widen the trask width of the truck to keep it more stable. one thing to remember is that as you go higher if you dont go wider you risk tipping more. as high as necessary as wide as possible. so i would reccomend going wider if possible, but too much offset can wear out components and also can cause other rubbing issues (for example my 31s didnt rub originally but when input the spacers on it rubbed) and do consider how much lift and tire you really need. many go all the way only to find the side effects of gas mileage sometimes ride and druveability, etc.

aftermarket wheels wont do much over the stock ones unless ya plan on punishing it hard. aside from looks if you dont plannon changing offsets etc the stock ones are fine. imo the only reason to upgrade would be if you find yourself damaging stock rims, are changing the rims anyways, or want beadlock (the real ones not the fake ones)

im not sure of the specifics but for max lift many do a bl and spacer lift iirc. ss far ss cost, usually bl is maybe 300, spacer lift is round there too. iirc rancho or some company also makes new struts for these made for lift, but idk. thats more $$$ but the route inmight go if it were mine. if you DIY it wuld probably be like 1700ish depending on the tires you get id guess, maybe 2k for nice tires. also not sure what the stock size is and how mych it changes to the new suze but if the size jump is too large it taxes the tranny and what not, so it would be advisable to regear depending on how large the jump is.

negative offset doesnt i herijtly help with anything, but it can widen the trask width of the truck to keep it more stable. one thing to remember is that as you go higher if you dont go wider you risk tipping more. as high as necessary as wide as possible. so i would reccomend going wider if possible, but too much offset can wear out components and also can cause other rubbing issues (for example my 31s didnt rub originally but when input the spacers on it rubbed) and do consider how much lift and tire you really need. many go all the way only to find the side effects of gas mileage sometimes ride and druveability, etc.

aftermarket wheels wont do much over the stock ones unless ya plan on punishing it hard. aside from looks if you dont plannon changing offsets etc the stock ones are fine. imo the only reason to upgrade would be if you find yourself damaging stock rims, are changing the rims anyways, or want beadlock (the real ones not the fake ones)

Thank you for your input.
Well, the heart of my big question is this: at what point does a lift start to hurt more than help? Would just a 3" body lift be ideal for off-roading or would adding an additional spacer lift for 6" of total lift be even better or is that much lift a bad idea altogether?

Thank you for your input.
Well, the heart of my big question is this: at what point does a lift start to hurt more than help? Would just a 3" body lift be ideal for off-roading or would adding an additional spacer lift for 6" of total lift be even better or is that much lift a bad idea altogether?
it would depend on what kind of wheeling you do. do you do mudding? overlanding? crawling? it all depends on how you wheel. some choose just a BL, some choose a suspension lift. some choose both. it really all depends.

it would depend on what kind of wheeling you do. do you do mudding? overlanding? crawling? it all depends on how you wheel. some choose just a BL, some choose a suspension lift. some choose both. it really all depends.

overlanding

given that imo just the spacer lift or BL should be alright for you, imo. as high as necessary as wide as possible. as yo lift ya wanna go wider too, so imo find what you feel comfortable with tire size wise, and go from there. tbh id say a 33 is plenty for most oerlanding

@jamie8470 I can't speak for the larger 3rd-gens, but on my 2nd-gen, the 33" is a bigger tire than I have ever needed. @Fix4Dirt said almost everything I have to say; be warned that any gears taller than 3.73's will make the transmission struggle with the weight of a 32"+ tire, and any gears shorter than 4.56's will use loads of gas.

Consider width, terrain type (all kinds, I would assume, since you're overlanding), height, and the size of rims you're planning to run. Short-diameter rims and more tire sidewall gives you a flex and traction advantage when you air down, and all that extra rubber protects your wheels a bit, too. Backspacing is more important than offset, but in general, the farther negative the offset, the wider your stance will be, and the more strain it will place on your hubs and suspension. Whatever your stock wheels' backspacing is, you generally want to stay as close to that as possible, unless you're going to run extremely wide tires. As far as a wheel being advertised as an "off-road" wheel, that has more to do with looks than anything else. Consider the advantages and disadvantages of steel vs. alloy wheels, and carefully inspect the wheels' weight ratings before buying (remembering that your overlanding loadout is much heavier than the stock vehicle). These are the important things.

I'm quite pleased with my 2nd-gen's setup (4" lift, 33x12.50 tires on 15x10 steelies) but the tires are extremely heavy, and road traction is compromised. I feel like 4.10 gears are probably fine, but you'll lose some torque control; 4.56 gears are probably around where it breaks even. I'm running 5.13 gears and fuel consumption makes it impractical to daily drive, but the torque control is addictive. Again, I expect you'd have some variance since yours is a 3rd-gen. Fish around and see what the other guys are doing; most of us are always looking for reasons to talk about our builds.

I would strongly advise against a body lift for several reasons; you can do your own research on that, and decide for yourself. My thoughts are, suspension always costs more, but it's the only right way to get the real clearance you need, with full flexibility. Body lift gives easy height, but cheaping out means you get all the height of a proper lift with none of the practical off-road advantages that a real suspension lift offers. Overlanding is not a weekend hobby, it is a lifestyle. Save yourself the money of doing it over, save yourself headaches and safety risks, and just go full suspension lift from the start.

Do your research here to find the best combinations of lift kits and shock absorbers, tire sizes and clearance issues, etc. Base your build on one that looks like what you want, and ask the owner what he/she would have done better if they could do it over. Most importantly, stay safe and have fun! Let us know what you decide to do!

@jamie8470 I can't speak for the larger 3rd-gens, but on my 2nd-gen, the 33" is a bigger tire than I have ever needed. @Fix4Dirt said almost everything I have to say; be warned that any gears taller than 3.73's will make the transmission struggle with the weight of a 32"+ tire, and any gears shorter than 4.56's will use loads of gas.

Consider width, terrain type (all kinds, I would assume, since you're overlanding), height, and the size of rims you're planning to run. Short-diameter rims and more tire sidewall gives you a flex and traction advantage when you air down, and all that extra rubber protects your wheels a bit, too. Backspacing is more important than offset, but in general, the farther negative the offset, the wider your stance will be, and the more strain it will place on your hubs and suspension. Whatever your stock wheels' backspacing is, you generally want to stay as close to that as possible, unless you're going to run extremely wide tires. As far as a wheel being advertised as an "off-road" wheel, that has more to do with looks than anything else. Consider the advantages and disadvantages of steel vs. alloy wheels, and carefully inspect the wheels' weight ratings before buying (remembering that your overlanding loadout is much heavier than the stock vehicle). These are the important things.

I'm quite pleased with my 2nd-gen's setup (4" lift, 33x12.50 tires on 15x10 steelies) but the tires are extremely heavy, and road traction is compromised. I feel like 4.10 gears are probably fine, but you'll lose some torque control; 4.56 gears are probably around where it breaks even. I'm running 5.13 gears and fuel consumption makes it impractical to daily drive, but the torque control is addictive. Again, I expect you'd have some variance since yours is a 3rd-gen. Fish around and see what the other guys are doing; most of us are always looking for reasons to talk about our builds.

I would strongly advise against a body lift for several reasons; you can do your own research on that, and decide for yourself. My thoughts are, suspension always costs more, but it's the only right way to get the real clearance you need, with full flexibility. Body lift gives easy height, but cheaping out means you get all the height of a proper lift with none of the practical off-road advantages that a real suspension lift offers. Overlanding is not a weekend hobby, it is a lifestyle. Save yourself the money of doing it over, save yourself headaches and safety risks, and just go full suspension lift from the start.

Do your research here to find the best combinations of lift kits and shock absorbers, tire sizes and clearance issues, etc. Base your build on one that looks like what you want, and ask the owner what he/she would have done better if they could do it over. Most importantly, stay safe and have fun! Let us know what you decide to do!

Yikes! I didn't know offset had that effect on the suspension and tranny. Thank you for your detailed reply. To be clear; you're suggesting I should just go with a spacer lift? Like this one? 02-05 Explorer Leveling Lift Spacers Now I'm thinking I might just do that and call it a day, bigger tires be dammed - especially since I don't think a 285 will fit in the spare tire holder(?).

Yikes! I didn't know offset had that effect on the suspension and tranny. Thank you for your detailed reply. To be clear; you're suggesting I should just go with a spacer lift? Like this one? 02-05 Explorer Leveling Lift Spacers Now I'm thinking I might just do that and call it a day, bigger tires be dammed - especially since I don't think a 285 will fit in the spare tire holder(?).
offset wont affect the tranny. its the tire diameter. try turning a car tire vs a dump truck tire. big difference, eh? same concept. offset spacers etc affect the suspension, such as the hubs. try holding a weight at ya chest. now arms fully extended. its harder, no? these are more extreme examples, but it gets the point across.

will say BLs do have their disadvantages. they all do, its the nature of the beast. a suspension lift lifts the COG more, BL has the bumper brackets. everything got its pros and cons. what we are here to do is inform you, and what you do from there, well thats ya decision! :D

@jamie8470 No. I was trying to answer all of your questions. Only the second paragraph regards wheel offset. In general, less backspacing (farther negative offset) will cause more strain on the wheel hubs and suspension components, due to added leverage as @Fix4Dirt described. Basically, the wider the stance, the more wear your suspension will sustain.

Larger and/or heavier wheels and/or tires will also cause more drivetrain (engine, transmission, transfer case, differential) wear and generally cause more suspension and steering strain. Besides the matter of extra weight, the extra width of oversized wheels and/or tires adds significantly more leverage to the wheel hubs and bearings, and suspension and steering components. Understand that when you change the width, diamater, and weight of the wheels, that changes the geometry of the suspension and steering.

Which lift method you use is completely up to you; make the time to properly research each method that interests you, and decide which one is the best for your needs. Understand the ways in which each method affects the vehicle's structure (body lift), center of gravity (any lift), suspension geometry (suspension lift), and its handling characteristics (any lift). Be aware that with suspension lifts, longer or specially-designed drive shafts may become necessary.

This is an expensive hobby, and driving a vehicle with unfavorable driving dynamics is risky even for the experienced. We don't want to see you make poor modifications to your vehicle and regret it later, or worse, end up getting hurt, so we encourage you to ask any and all questions you may have, before making any changes.

Body lifts and spacers don't add any flex or travel to your suspension, they just make the vehicle taller. Allows larger tires, which will add ground clearance, but not much. I would start with spacers, see how you like it and go from there. I do not like body lifts, they really don't do anything except allow a larger tire by moving the body up from the frame. If you ever get into overlanding or expedition type off road trail driving, you should consider getting a different vehicle with more available aftermarket support.

My Father had a 1998 4Runner that he offroaded all over the country. I borrowed it for a week and made a set of weld on rock sliders and added 2" coil spacers. He loved it, but refused the offer to swap in a straight axle and coil overs.

Thank you both for your detailed replies. :wave:
Continuing to do my research, now I'm seeing that BTF upper control arms are a practical necessity as well. 1k for a lift plus hundreds in labor is more than I expected but not out of my budget. Now I'm thinking I will quit there - keep my 265s maybe get some new wheels of a similar weight just for looks (no offset or anything). I guess I'll have to stick a spare 265 on a rear hitch-mounted carrier (I don't think they fit underneath in the spare tire holder?) but that's OK. I know I will need an alignment after the lift install. Do you guys think I should get new/stronger struts as well?

Thank you both for your detailed replies. :wave:
Continuing to do my research, now I'm seeing that BTF upper control arms are a practical necessity as well. 1k for a lift plus hundreds in labor is more than I expected but not out of my budget. Now I'm thinking I will quit there - keep my 265s maybe get some new wheels of a similar weight just for looks (no offset or anything). I guess I'll have to stick a spare 265 on a rear hitch-mounted carrier (I don't think they fit underneath in the spare tire holder?) but that's OK. I know I will need an alignment after the lift install. Do you guys think I should get new/stronger struts as well?
to be clear: you are doing lift spacers and bumping up tire size? check your struts, like anything they do wear with miles. if worn replace. as far as stronger, no experience there with the 3g, so cant speak to that. if you carry heavy loads often, then maybe you could get stronger ones, not sure if they re available, however. also if you are getting rims, why not get ones with offset? while, yes, you are putting more hub strain, going wider enables for better stability.

He loved it, but refused the offer to swap in a straight axle and coil overs.
Shoulda just asked your dad to borrow his rig for a weekend and bring it back to him with SAS and coilovers....he'd be pissed at first, but once he crawled it.......he'd be high 5'n you.

Shoulda just asked your dad to borrow his rig for a weekend and bring it back to him with him with SAS and coilovers....he'd be pissed at first, but once he crawled it.......he'd be high 5'n you.
It took me six months to SAS my Explorer so I don 't think I could have pulled that off in a weekend. What I did took me all weekend, and I already had the sliders mostly made.

to be clear: you are doing lift spacers and bumping up tire size? check your struts, like anything they do wear with miles. if worn replace. as far as stronger, no experience there with the 3g, so cant speak to that. if you carry heavy loads often, then maybe you could get stronger ones, not sure if they re available, however. also if you are getting rims, why not get ones with offset? while, yes, you are putting more hub strain, going wider enables for better stability.

Nope, I already have 265s installed so I'm gonna keep that tire size. Just thinking spacers + control arms.
And yeah I guess I'd consider a slight offset - some sort of sweet spot between stability and hub strain (or lack thereof)

Nope, I already have 265s installed so I'm gonna keep that tire size. Just thinking spacers + control arms.
And yeah I guess I'd consider a slight offset - some sort of sweet spot between stability and hub strain (or lack thereof)
oh i see. yeah spacers wont add travel they just use up your droop to make the body and frame etc higher off ground. aint nothing wrong with that! yeah, if ya changing em, why not ;) as with many things, its about how to "walk the line" ;)as you lift higher the COG is higher so try to balance it out with widening the track width one way or another imo.

Alright I'm about to put in my order for BTF spacers and control arms. I know there's threads on it, but still I don't have the means, experience, or desire to install them myself. A local shop can do it for around $500 with an alignment - about what I expected.

Is there anything else I should be aware of at all? Anything I should look into replacing/changing regarding suspension as well?

Thanks ♥

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Is this true?

Thank you very much. 👍
My wife and I bought a 2003 Ranger with that kind of lift. We don't do off roading, but after years of driving and working on it I found that just the 3" lift would have been much better

Back