lift vs center of gravity fix

SKYNET808

Reaction score
City, State
Flori-duh
Year, Model & Trim Level
07 ST V8 4x4 on 33's
here is a question:

Can the center of gravity be set back to a stock type value when you add an lift to your truck - just by adding wider stance to compensate?
not sure if i communicated this well.
In the relationship of roll over potential .. . . say one adds 5" lift kit to their truck (which makes the truck top heavy and out of center),
How wide of a wheel, spacer & offset would you need in order to get back to stock center of gravity relationship?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I don't think you will ever get it back to normal but a wider wheel would help a bit. Also if you have a body lift that doesn't affect the center of gravity as much as a suspension lift because the engine, frame, etc is still all at stock height.

If you are worried about stability just make sure you have your sway bars hooked up and have a good set of bushing.

This is a simple/basic explanation. Feel free to PM or do some research if you really wanna know more.

The center of gravity is still just as high, regardless of how wide you go. The point is that it is more "centralized" and can't push out past the tires. Think of this, the 0 is the truck body, and l is the tires.

you're gonna roll over when:
. l l
So going wider allows more body roll without the risk of rolling. Which works fine for street use. But now think about driving on the side of a hill or rock when you're wheeling.
If you want to lower the center of gravity and maintain high ground clearance you're gonna have to lower the heavy stuff. Drop the engine/transmission as much as possible without making it the lowest point. Lower your seat if you can, if you wanna get real low make a custom dash that sits lower, and lower all the seats in the truck. You'll have to cut the floor. And with the seats sitting lower, you'll need to lower the seat belts. It'd be a good idea to make a custom center console as well so it sits lower. If your spare is on the roof, throw it in the bed. Build custom doors, preferably half doors or something along those lines to make em even lighter.

Seeing as you have a 2007, I'ma guess this isn't a trail rig. For mall crawling, just suck up the crappy handling. To make up for 5" of lift your truck would have to be WIDE. I would guess wider than legally allowed. I'm sure there's a math equation that will tell you how wide to go if you wanna search for it.
As a fyi, wheel spacers, and different offset rims can hurt your handling as well. Besides putting excessive stress on the suspension components.

Long story short, mall crawling = roll over waiting to happen. trail rig = stable/fun to drive but a ton of cash/time and unpracticalness.
I'd suggest you stick with <2" of lift if you like to drive fast. What size tire are you trying to run anyways?

Keep this in mind you are referring to a 5" suspension lift for your '07 ST. (Not body lift)
You are pretty limited in how much you can lift the suspension because the rear halfshafts go through holes in the framerails. Even if you could lift it some, I'm not sure how much you could adjust the camber so the tires would wear right.
A body lift would be best for the '07-'08 but I'm not aware of anybody who makes one.
Casual observation tells me that you could fit a slightly bigger tire than stock without lifting it, like maybe a 255/70-17.
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=211646&highlight=lift

I don't think you will ever get it back to normal but a wider wheel would help a bit. Also if you have a body lift that doesn't affect the center of gravity as much as a suspension lift because the engine, frame, etc is still all at stock height.

If you are worried about stability just make sure you have your sway bars hooked up and have a good set of bushing.

Thanks for all info . . . I was just curious as i got into some heavy reading about the RSC systems and the sensor clusters that are based on COG. wanted to get some input on this hypothetical of a typical lift.

Back