lifter/rocker ticking at cold start up | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

lifter/rocker ticking at cold start up

puddle jumper

Reaction score
City, State
Broadway,NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
`93 Eddie Bauer
ever since i bought my 93 exp it has had a loud lifter/rocker arm tick at a cold start up , but after it warmed up the noise went away,,after reading about lifter and rocker arm wear in the old posts and the trouble and cost involved to replace them , i just accepted the noise and went on about driveing it daily untill one day i decided to run the sea-foam treatment through a vacume port in the throttle body to see if it would make the engine perform better like described by some of the site members, well , it worked just liked i had read it would and now , wouldnt ya know it ,,the lifter/rocker arm tick is completely gone !!! how did that happen ?? i previously used engine flush before an oil change and a quart of Riseoline with my oil changes and that has never done any thing to help quiet the noise ,, so what happened ?? just coincindence ?? does anyone have a clue ???

I'm suprised this helped Lifter tick, when dumped into the vacume it shpould never actually get on the lifter, or oil passages. Glad it did the trick, I also have lifter tick only on startup for about 1 minute or so. Been trying to sell my truck and that tick is a killer.. I spose I could hide it bend a rocker arm or ?? but thats seems so wrong..

Clok

Clok1966 has a good point there.....

When you put seafoam in the intake it would have gotten on the valve stems / seats. Perhaps it was a bit of a sticky valve?

Back