Liftgate randomly opens when doors are closed | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Liftgate randomly opens when doors are closed

Mine has started doing this randomly. I go to get the kiddoes out of the rear seats. when i go to lock the car using the handle switch of the rear passenger door on the driver's side, the liftgate will immediately open. So far, has happened randomly about 10 times.

I also get the liftgate opening but stopping about half the way up for no reason.

Sometimes i get both of the above together.

Tried resetting the liftgate and door locking modules via forscan but still get the problem.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Mine has started doing this randomly. I go to get the kiddoes out of the rear seats. when i go to lock the car using the handle switch of the rear passenger door on the driver's side, the liftgate will immediately open. So far, has happened randomly about 10 times.

I also get the liftgate opening but stopping about half the way up for no reason.

Sometimes i get both of the above together.

Tried resetting the liftgate and door locking modules via forscan but still get the problem.
Mine did this once or twice in a week a year or more ago then stopped for no apparent reason. I also haven't had it open recently when I walk behind it from the motion sensor. It used to happen several times a week. This thing has always had a mind (brain-damaged) of its own.

Yeah, mine is still doing it. It did stop for a bit, but just happened again last weekend with a ton of snow on the hatch too and it was very annoying and potentially hard on the liftgate to open with all of that snow and ice on it. This is very aggravating and nobody seems to have a solution to Ford's problem

I was having this happen a couple times and the liftgate only opening half way alot. Finally pestered my dealer to do this TSB. Seems to have fixed it.
TSB# SSM 49914.
Summary
Some 2015-2021 Edge, 2016-2018 MKX, 2019-2021 Nautilus, 2018-2021 Expedition/Navigator, and 2020-2021 Escape/Corsair/Explorer/Aviator vehicles may exhibit an inoperative power liftgate. This may be due to the rear gate trunk module (RGTM)

Update, liftgate tried to open literally 4x in a row while I had 3 bikes loaded on back via trailer hitch and I had to keep stopping it before it rammed into the bike rack. Cause by me trying to simply close a rear open door. This is ridiculous. Anyone get a fix?

Update, liftgate tried to open literally 4x in a row while I had 3 bikes loaded on back via trailer hitch and I had to keep stopping it before it rammed into the bike rack. Cause by me trying to simply close a rear open door. This is ridiculous. Anyone get a fix?
I haven't read any posts of yours indicating that you've taken it to the dealer. That's where I would start. The member whose post is above yours seems to have had it fixed by the dealership. It could very well be an issue with the liftgate module.

Peter

I disconnected one of the harnesses to the foot activated lift gate module. It seems to have eliminated all of the seemingly random lift gate openings. I covered both ends of the harness for when I eventually trade it in. The foot activation is nice when it works but not worth the times it unintentionally opens or closes the lift gate.

I disconnected one of the harnesses to the foot activated lift gate module. It seems to have eliminated all of the seemingly random lift gate openings. I covered both ends of the harness for when I eventually trade it in. The foot activation is nice when it works but not worth the times it unintentionally opens or closes the lift gate.
Saw that write up. I was hopeful Ford would have come up with an actual fix that allows you to use the kick lift gate; but I think I’m going to end up doing this. I’ve taken it in twice already. First time they said couldn’t duplicate. Second time I had them reprogram it with tab 49914even though they looked at me like I was from Mars, and they’ve never heard of this nor anyone with liftgate issues. Anyway they did it and it made things even worse. Now it opens rogue more frequently and also I get the half way thing from time to time. About to go in a third time bc I need an oil change so was hopeful… ps I didn’t know I should announce all my unfruitful stealership visits which always result in me losing more faith in the human race, sorry. just thought that’s be too whiny of me

So I have had this odd issue happen 5 times now. After shutting off the vehicle, exiting and closing the drivers door, the odd time the lift gate will open on its own. Has happened with the passenger door as well. Not sure if installing my Dashcam has anything to do with it but I did tap into fuse location 2 which is listed as moonroof, ERA-GLONAS, eCall, Telematics control unit module, inverter, driver door switch pack.
Showbox jiofi.local.html tplinklogin
Anyone else have an odd issue like this? I don't think it has to do with the Dashcam but I'm going to disconnect it for a bit. Aside from that it isn't due to motion under the vehicle causing it to open as it does it while I am walking along the side of the truck.
Mine was crimped and cut at the factory.... just had it replaced/repaired under warranty...

Mine was crimped and cut at the factory.... just had it replaced/repaired under warranty...
PM sent. Please update your profile. I'm guessing you are not talking about the BMW. Thanks.

My 2020 Explorer ST also randomly has the hatch only open halfway and randomly opens when walking toward the back (but nowhere near the sensor). Following this thread. Tired of hearing from the dealer "we can't replicate the problem and have never heard of anyone else with the problem". It was the same with the random backup camera bluescreen, transmission failure, etc...

My 2020 Explorer ST also randomly has the hatch only open halfway and randomly opens when walking toward the back (but nowhere near the sensor). Following this thread. Tired of hearing from the dealer "we can't replicate the problem and have never heard of anyone else with the problem". It was the same with the random backup camera bluescreen, transmission failure, etc...
Mine is still doing the half way open randomly. I have had it to 2 different dealerships and it is a bit better after the last service appointment they supposedly adjusted the hinge that was misaligned but still having sporadic instances. I have pretty much given up on wasting my time with service appointments. I did notice it only acts up when using the foot activated switch or the manual switch on the liftgate. The button on the dash works perfect every time

................................. I did notice it only acts up when using the foot activated switch or the manual switch on the liftgate. The button on the dash works perfect every time
That's interesting. I would have thought that once activated, the system would be the same regardless of the triggering source.:dunno:

Peter

That's interesting. I would have thought that once activated, the system would be the same regardless of the triggering source.:dunno:

Peter
A Ford "feature" just to piss you off when you are standing there with your arms full.....

So I have had this odd issue happen 5 times now. After shutting off the vehicle, exiting and closing the drivers door, the odd time the lift gate will open on its own. Has happened with the passenger door as well. Not sure if installing my Dashcam has anything to do with it but I did tap into fuse location 2 which is listed as moonroof, ERA-GLONAS, eCall, Telematics control unit module, inverter, driver door switch pack.

Anyone else have an odd issue like this? I don't think it has to do with the Dashcam but I'm going to disconnect it for a bit. Aside from that it isn't due to motion under the vehicle causing it to open as it does it while I am walking along the side of the truck.
Hello, I've had the same issue multiple times. Usually happens when I walk past the trunk with keys in pocket. Trunk almost hit my 6 year old because it randomly opened. Dealership hasn't been able to replicate the issue so they're really not addressing it.

Hello, I've had the same issue multiple times. Usually happens when I walk past the trunk with keys in pocket. Trunk almost hit my 6 year old because it randomly opened. Dealership hasn't been able to replicate the issue so they're really not addressing it.
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
Your issue is not the same as the topic of this thread. There are members of the 5th gen forum that have had the 'gate' open in the same way as yours. If I recall correctly, I believe there is a sensitivity adjustment for the sensor, but I don't know if the 6th gen has that as well.

Peter

I should update that after I had the liftgate module firmware update last october, I've only had one random liftgate opening. I previously disconnected the handsfree module but after updating the firmware, reconnected it because I actually like the feature. Everything works great. Mine is a MY2020 so not sure when they updated the liftgate module but the random openings seem not to affect 2022-2023's as far as I've read.

I should update that after I had the liftgate module firmware update last october, I've only had one random liftgate opening. I previously disconnected the handsfree module but after updating the firmware, reconnected it because I actually like the feature. Everything works great. Mine is a MY2020 so not sure when they updated the liftgate module but the random openings seem not to affect 2022-2023's as far as I've read.
The 2023 Explorer, Escape and Expedition won't have the 'foot-activated' liftgate. It has been deleted in favour of a $55 credit. :mad: It has also been deleted from some Lincoln vehicles.

Peter

The 2023 Explorer, Escape and Expedition won't have the 'foot-activated' liftgate. It has been deleted in favour of a $55 credit. :mad: It has also been deleted from some Lincoln vehicles.

Peter
My wife's new 2023 Lincoln Corsair Reserve is definitely equipped with a foot-activated liftgate. We ordered this vehicle in September, 2022 and it was delivered in May, 2023. The only item deleted by the factory was the audio system's subwoofer and a $250 credit was issued for that.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back