lifting engine via oil pan

wpurple

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
CT
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 Explorer
Wouldn't lifting the engine by the oil pan damage the oil pan gasket?

I figure it would squish the gasket, no?

Since the oil pan is a PITA to remove (I think you have to take out the engine) I am hesitant to life the motor this way to install my TMH's.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Lift the engine using a hoist with bolts into the block.

Yes you can lift it a bit frm the oil pan, but spread the load and use a 2x4 at the very least.

I still recommend a hoist.

It could potentionally damage the gasket from the pressure exerted on it. Why not just rent a cherry picker or buy one at Harbor Freight. They are pretty cheap.

All I need to do is lift the engine up an inch or so on the passenger side, I was thinking of using a dowl or a skinny peice of metal to lift it up from the heads of the pan bolts, that way it doesn't put pressure on the gasket.

I guess I also could lift from the mount itself if I could get something up there to rest on it, since I will be loosening the bolts from the mount to the chassis.

I have done this before, when replacing the 4.0L engine mounts. I did not notice any new leaks. Just go slow, dont let the fan hit the radiator and distribute the load.

You may not even need to lift anything, you can also raise the drivetrain from the trans mount, once everything is loose.

sounds risky to me.

Uhhhhh! Don't do it!

BShow said:
sounds risky to me.

jah81592 said:
Uhhhhh! Don't do it!

Why dont you guys back up your thoughts so it will actually be useful. Do you guys have experience with this?

Back in the day, I used to see homemade oil pan cradles used for lifting the motor. The cradle would straddle the oil pan and lift the motor by the oil pan bolts. The pressure would be transferred to the threads of the oil pan bolts and not the gasket.

Thats actually a really good idea!!! Not that I need to lift my engine, but I'll have to keep that in mind to use in the future!

That sounds like a good idea, but unfortunately on a lot of newer vehicles, the oil pans are a little more buried by the crossmember frame. If there is a way to go around it, then it would be ideal. Another idea is to use a rubber head attachment on the jack, so that the hard edges of the lifting head don't dig into the pan. I would be curious to see some pictures of those home made cradle attachments.

Back