Lifting your explorer to clear larger tires- | Page 6 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Lifting your explorer to clear larger tires-

Ok, well I have been looking for some info on converting my 2wd expo to a 4wd. I havent been able to locate any in here yet. So here is my plan for my conversion.

I have a 1997 xlt expo with the 5.0 v8. I plan on building it to be more of an all around rig. I want to go fast in the desert but also be able to crawl through rocks.

My plan starts out by tearing out all of the ifs, and replacing it with a dana 44 ttb from a full size bronco. Another option for this is to get the extended beams from Giant Motorsports. They currently make a conversion kit that allows you bolt up the dana 44 ttb to the ranger dana 35 ttb mounts. I figure with a little modification I can make this work for my Expo. With the ttb, I plan on coil-overs with extended radius arms.

For the rear I have already picked up a 9" rear end with a spool and 4:88 gears. I plan on just running a deaver G50E leaf pack in the rear, that should give me about 2.5" of lift for the rear. I want to be able to run 35" tires, so I might have to do some trimming in the rear, but I will probley have to anyway with the new rear end. Most likely will be running front and rear fiberglass.

So has anybody done this conversion yet?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

1997 Explorer E.B. V8 AWD. I finished my install of Warrior 153 Shackles and did a Torsion Twist for the front end. The 31x10.50x15s on 15x8s fit and look great. My question regards gearing, in asking the forum about suspension someone brought up, that when you go with bigger tires you also need to change the gearing. I know about changing the speedo gear to get it sync up, but how detrimental is changing gearing in the system?

Thank you.

P.S.: I'm thinking about getting rid of the tan/gold trim-bumper-step-stuff and changing it to black. I was thinking about painting it with bed liner; strong, tough, durable and black. Thoughts? Better yet, pictures of rig that's gone black trim?

Thanks again.

IMG_20151026_141324364_HDR_zpsmgybktp9.jpg

Looks awesome bro gotta love the red. I ditched the running boards on mine for more clearance.

Attachments

• IMAG1400.jpg
    IMAG1400.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 312
  • IMAG1415.jpg
    IMAG1415.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 328
  • IMAG1445.jpg
    IMAG1445.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 307

1997 Explorer E.B. V8 AWD. I finished my install of Warrior 153 Shackles and did a Torsion Twist for the front end. The 31x10.50x15s on 15x8s fit and look great. My question regards gearing, in asking the forum about suspension someone brought up, that when you go with bigger tires you also need to change the gearing. I know about changing the speedo gear to get it sync up, but how detrimental is changing gearing in the system?

Thank you.

P.S.: I'm thinking about getting rid of the tan/gold trim-bumper-step-stuff and changing it to black. I was thinking about painting it with bed liner; strong, tough, durable and black. Thoughts? Better yet, pictures of rig that's gone black trim?

Thanks again.

If you have stock 3.73's and went to a 31" tire, then 4.10's will get you as close as you'll come to stock gearing. Is it necessary? No. Will you gain your lost torque back? Yes. I'm running stock 3.73's on 31's for now. My next step is go to 33's and I'll jump to 4.56's when I do that. Hope that helps.

Can anyone post a pic of a stock ride height explorer with 31s?

Curious how mine will look with a bigger tire.

TIA

Thank you.

Thanks again.

31's really are not all that big. I wouldn't worry about a re-gear at that size.

You are right I can do the torsion twist to raise the front.

I guess before i do anything I need to get the monroe rear shocks and square away the sag in the rear. So i can get a better idea of measurements.

You are right I can do the torsion twist to raise the front.

I guess before i do anything I need to get the monroe rear shocks and square away the sag in the rear. So i can get a better idea of measurements.

I had the same sag but $40 add a leafs and shackles gave me the 2". I do plan on swapping in F-150 leafs to get rid of the shackles. That might be something to look at also.

1.75" in front (tt), 3.5" in the rear (monoleaf + cut down main from a sonoma as a second with custom shackles), 3" bl, front fender and bumper trim.
35's.

axABbZNh.jpg

Back