Limited slip to Traction Lok swap question | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Limited slip to Traction Lok swap question

Hoppy

Reaction score
City, State
Ontario, Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 XLS 4x4 SOHC
Hello all,

I have a 97 Explorer 4x4 and have an opportunity to pick up a trac lok differential for it from an 88 t-bird turbo coupe. I realize that there may be a chance that by installing the new differential in place of the limited slip differential it may throw the mesh off on the gears.I am not changing gears, I will be bolting the existing ring gear onto the new differential. I just want to know if anyone has done this before and if it is possible that it will change the mesh. I just want to know before I go ahead and change the differential so I can get a couple handfulls of shims for it before i do perform the swap.

Thanks guys,

Hoppy

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm confused: You're changing your limited slip for another Ford unit? :confused: Trac lok and limited slip are the same thing, just Ford's name for their units.

Yes there is a possibility of messing up your gears.

I don't even know if the Tbird unit will fit. The Tbird has to have 31 spline axles I believe.

Sorry, I was under the assumption that limited slip is just standard. I may be mistaken. What I want to do is change my Unlimited slip rear end to Trac Lok.

If you don't currently have a limited slip in there, the term you're looking for is 'open' differential.
If you do have a LS in there currently, it is a trac lok.

I realize that now. Sorry for the misinformation...

I have a 97 Explorer 4x4 and have an opportunity to pick up a trac lok differential for it from an 88 t-bird turbo coupe. I realize that there may be a chance that by installing the new differential in place of the "open" differential it may throw the mesh off on the gears.I am not changing gears, I will be bolting the existing ring gear onto the new differential. I just want to know if anyone has done this before and if it is possible that it will change the mesh. I just want to know before I go ahead and change the differential so I can get a couple handfulls of shims for it before i do perform the swap.

Originally posted by Hoppy
I realize that now. Sorry for the misinformation...

I have a 97 Explorer 4x4 and have an opportunity to pick up a trac lok differential for it from an 88 t-bird turbo coupe. I realize that there may be a chance that by installing the new differential in place of the "open" differential it may throw the mesh off on the gears.I am not changing gears, I will be bolting the existing ring gear onto the new differential. I just want to know if anyone has done this before and if it is possible that it will change the mesh. I just want to know before I go ahead and change the differential so I can get a couple handfulls of shims for it before i do perform the swap.

Yes it will change the mesh. You will need to go through the whole set procedure to set backlash, and check the wear pattern, make sure it is the same. You may even have to change the pinion depth- unlikely but maybe.

But I dont think the trac lok out of the t-bird will fit anyway. The Explorer has 31 spline axles, and the T-bird may be 28 so the differential wont fit.

Good Luck

Good point. I didn't think of that.

Thanks guys.

Hoppy

Didn't I say that about the splines? ;)

Yeah, that is what I was talking about. The splines. I guess I didn't think of that. Does anyone know what will fit my truck in way of the splines? Ranger, F-150, Mustang, obviously another explorer..

HOppy

The tibird carrier does have 28 splines, so it won't work.

EDIT: oops.. I guess I should check the date on threads before I reply, huh? I found this one during a search. I feel like a dumbass now.

Back