• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

List of Differing Parts Between 2013 PIU and 2013 Explorer

lovemyfordpiu

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 PIU
So I bought a PIU at auction and it runs great but just has come cosmetic things I'm dealing with. I learned the hard way that the tail lights are different. (I didn't google hard enough.) I just pulled out the center instrument panel to make sure the part was the same as the Explorer and I confirmed it's the same part number. But, I can't do that with everything because some parts are missing (like the rear hatch trim) and I will need to just order one. Is there an all-inclusive (or at least extensive) list of interchangeable parts between the two models? I've never done any repair work on a car ever, so this is a learning experience!

peterk9

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Russell, Ontario (Ottawa area)
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Aviator Reserve
Callsign
VE3
So I bought a PIU at auction and it runs great but just has come cosmetic things I'm dealing with. I learned the hard way that the tail lights are different. (I didn't google hard enough.) I just pulled out the center instrument panel to make sure the part was the same as the Explorer and I confirmed it's the same part number. But, I can't do that with everything because some parts are missing (like the rear hatch trim) and I will need to just order one. Is there an all-inclusive (or at least extensive) list of interchangeable parts between the two models? I've never done any repair work on a car ever, so this is a learning experience!
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
I'm not aware of any post which lists the differences. One thing that might help is to become familiar with using parts site like Levittown Ford; https://parts.levittownfordparts.com/ You can pull up a 2013 Explorer and also the 2013 PIU. It probably would have shown the same part numbers for the center instrument panel. I use the site frequently to obtain part numbers in response to some of the posts here.

Peter

BatDoctor

Reaction score
City, State
Capitol City, NEVADA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Explorer PIU
Callsign
KC7ARS
As I have found lately there are many differences in electronic connections but for the most part...trim and aesthetics are cookie cutter parts. Start checking out Craigs list and Ebay. I found an almost entire interior posted form a wrecked one on Craigslist somewhat locally. It was worth the drive and paid only 900 for 90% of the interior parts to convert my PIU to a more comfy civilian interior.