• Register Today It's free!

list of tuning options

volver

Reaction score
City, State
Milan, IL Quad City area
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 XLT AWD
I have been researching all the tuning options for a 1998 5.0. Can i get a conformation on what i have found?

1. There are dozens of programs to tune a GM engine. Some are free. There are only a few programs that will tune a ford and all of them cost big bucks?

2. I have found 3 tuning programs/flashers/tuners that i am considering. One is a viper tuner it is expensive. They claim it can tune any car. Next is Bahama chips, eww. Then SCT.

3. SCT is the most reliable and the cheapest.

4. If I wanted James Henson to write me a tune, i would need only the SCT flasher and a laptop. He could look at the data logs and write a tune then email it to me. I would then upload it to the tuner, then upload from the tuner to the ECM?

5. If I wanted to write my own tunes, I would have to buy the SCT Flasher and the Pro Racer software. Write the tune on the computer load it to the tuner then load it into the ECM. -OR-

6. If i get the SCT Pro Racer software do i need the SCT flasher or can i get and OBD II to USB cable and flash the ECM from the laptop?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The SCT Pro Racer software package does not include the PCM reprogram capability. You'll need an X3 or equivalent to reprogram the PCM.

It takes years of training and experience to know which tables to change and how to change them to achieve good performance and driveability. Ford is more protective of their PCM software structure than GM. There is very little open documentation available. The proprietary Ford PCM source code listing is more than 8,000 pages long with only brief comments.

You are adding a supercharger to your engine which is much less common than adding a turbocharger. You need someone with extensive expertise to develop a tune for your power source that will result in a reliable and pleasurable to drive vehicle.

In addition to an X3 you will need to purchase or borrow a wideband Air/Fuel ratio meter to adjust the WOT mixture correctly. You can destroy your engine very quickly with high boost and a lean mixtue.

In addition to an X3 you will need to purchase or borrow a wideband Air/Fuel ratio meter to adjust the WOT mixture correctly. You can destroy your engine very quickly with high boost and a lean mixtue.

weve all seen this way too many times with all the ricers, time for them to step down and let the big boys with the big trucks take over

I was thinking about it last night. The SCT flasher has some user friendly controls. These controls allow you to adjust the rev limiter and shift point and you can even chose what flow rate injectors you have. So i think that i am going to buy the X3 and adjust everything i can, in an attempt to get the engine to run correctly with out boost. Then i can trouble shoot my system. Find any vacuum leaks, reenforce anything that looks weak, make an idle pulley system.

Once i have the money i will buy wide band O2 sensors and a new MAF. I will have James write me a tune. Then i will purchase the tuning software. and learn how to use it.

i plan on getting Torque monsters and swamping to a ZF manual transmission. so i don't want to go back to James every time i need a new tune. Plus i would like to learn how to tune.

A good plan

That sounds like a good plan. That way you'll be able to eliminate a lot of unknowns before activating the blower and you'll be able to drive it. Can you disable the blower function so you won't be tempted to use it before the tune. You'll need a tune just to run with the higher pressure pump and the high flow injectors. I'm just guessing but James may provide you an interim custom tune with rev limiter removed and new shift poinst for the first phase and then update it for the blower phase. That way he'll have control over the changes. You'll learn a lot about tuning as you test the tune iterations. See my link Custom tune by Henson

I only installed a wideband sensor in bank 2. It was adequate for my needs and easy accessibility. See my link Best Wideband O2 Sensor Location?

Your stock 55mm MAF sensor should be good to 500 cfm. How much airflow are you expecting with your blower?

I don't know how much air flow there will be. I was going to get a used lightning MAF sensor. They are cheap and a 90mm MAF is good for like 600 HP.

I don't think i will be going over 400HP because the block will explode.
Maybe i will change to a Dart block. Depends on the new power from the blower is. If i **** my pants then i think i will stick to 400.

if i am board i will shoot for 600+

My M112 is not done yet and i was considering throwing a turbo in the mix. A twincharged Explorer would be very unique.

Back