• Register Today It's free!

Little help

sk

Reaction score
City, State
ocala, fl
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 xlt
Just bought a 2004 Explorer XLT and have a few questions. On occasion, usually when I either turn a corner (which makes me think the issue is in the stering column) or after I have been driving a while with the cruise control on and then depress the break, the cruise control doesn't want to opperate again for quite a while. Sometimes it will come back on if I stop, turn the engine off, start it again and then drive. Almost as if it resets or something. But not always.
I also need to replace both visors. The passenger side is missing and the drivers side is help up with some sort of "jerry rigged" wire. I know there is a proper instalation for this but no idea where to find it.
Lastly, is there any one out there that can tell me how to figure out the code for the keyless pad on the drivers door? Ford says they can do it but they want $80.00 to hook up and figure it out. Was kind of trying to avoid that.
Any and all help is appreciated.
SK

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Can't speak to your other issues but here's an easy way of finding your keyless entry code. I bought my truck used and I used this thread and it worked fine:

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=246957&highlight=keyless+entry+code

Just bought a 2004 Explorer XLT and have a few questions. On occasion, usually when I either turn a corner (which makes me think the issue is in the stering column) or after I have been driving a while with the cruise control on and then depress the break, the cruise control doesn't want to opperate again for quite a while. Sometimes it will come back on if I stop, turn the engine off, start it again and then drive. Almost as if it resets or something. But not always.
I also need to replace both visors. The passenger side is missing and the drivers side is help up with some sort of "jerry rigged" wire. I know there is a proper instalation for this but no idea where to find it.
Lastly, is there any one out there that can tell me how to figure out the code for the keyless pad on the drivers door? Ford says they can do it but they want $80.00 to hook up and figure it out. Was kind of trying to avoid that.
Any and all help is appreciated.
SK

A lot of third generation Explorers (maybe all of them?) have a pressure sensing switch that is located on the master cylinder. This switch interfaces with the cruise control system and tells it when the brakes have been applied by sensing brake fluid pressure. This switch is known to go bad. My cruise control was acting strange and coming on sporadically but mostly not at all. I got the replacement kit from Ford and it contains a new switch and cable. The cost was only $20. I replaced it last night but haven't had a chance to drive the truck with the cruise control on yet. I will know tonight whether it fixed the problem and I will post the results here.

Ronin and Eddie....thanks very much. I will try your suggestions.

OK, the key pad now works. Thanks very much Ronin. It was in a slightly different spot but very easy to find and all I had to do was pull the panel back far enough to read the 5 digit code. Works like a charm. Now I just gotta find one of those little remote deals and THAT problem will be solved.
Eddie, I will check your suggestion out tomorrow after school. Thanks to you both.

I can confirm that the sensor on the brake master cylinder was the cause of my cruise control problems. The cruise control worked fantastic tonight on a short road trip up the interstate. Before the sensor swap it rarely worked at all. Tonight it worked every time I hit the buttons.

I would recommend getting the part from the Ford dealer. Their kit has the new cable and my stock one had fuses and other components that might have had issues too. The new cable is a much simpler design.

For sun visors your best bet is eBay had to replace my driver side twice since the mount breaks so easy for no reason

Eddie,
Can you take a pic a post it or send it to me of what piece I am looking for? There are 3 or 4 devices coming off the master cylinder. Nothing, as far as I can tell, is mounted directly on the MC itself.
Thanks....and thanks also to jstorm for the ebay info.
sk

This isn't the sharpest photo but it will give you an idea. On my 2002 XLT it looks exactly like this except my harness is off to the left toward the passenger side:

brakepressureswitch.jpg

Back