Intermittent cruise control! Help! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Intermittent cruise control! Help!

KC10Chief

Reaction score
City, State
Anchorage, AK
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer V8
I took a road trip in my 02 Eddie this weekend. It has the V8 motor. The first time I used the cruise control, it worked fine. I turned it off for a while in traffic, but when I went to reengage it, it didn't work. The green cruise control light came on and STAYED on, but the cruise control didn't work. The next day, it worked again briefly, but then stopped working the next time I tried to use it. Each time, the light came on like the cruise control was engaged, but when I let off the accelerator, the truck slowed down. I did a search on this subject and there's a lot of cruise control issues. My light doesn't blink. It stays on like it would if the cruise control were working. What do I need to do to get this fixed? Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Bump. Anyone? I bought the brake pressure switch today. It has an extra little harness with it. But now, my cruise control is working again. Go figure. Worked all day.

check near the servo motor on passenger side. cable cover may have popped out of it's locked position connecting it to the servo motor.

Try tapping the brake to fix it while your driving. That seems to reset something to let you use it again.

I agree. Fixes mine too. May change the brake switch in case its sticking closed. Looking at the master cylinder, I see a weather pack connector connected into something on top. Is this the switch everyone is talking about?

KC10Chief, did u get this fixed? If so, what was the problem? I have an '02 4.0L and my cruise is acting very similar. Light comes on but speed doesn't set. If I let the vehicle coast to below 30 mph or hit the brakes, the light will turn off, so I don't think it's the vss (spd sensor) or the brake switch. I also had the recall performed, then installed new steering wheel switches (needed new one for radio anyway) and then I replaced the servo with a used one and it still acts the same. Other weird symptom: to get the cruise dash light to come on I have to press On, then Set, then Off, then ON, then set again for the light to even come on. Sometimes it'll set speed but if I go down a hill, it speeds up but doesn't go back to original setting.

KC10Chief, did u get this fixed? If so, what was the problem? I have an '02 4.0L and my cruise is acting very similar. Light comes on but speed doesn't set. If I let the vehicle coast to below 30 mph or hit the brakes, the light will turn off, so I don't think it's the vss (spd sensor) or the brake switch. I also had the recall performed, then installed new steering wheel switches (needed new one for radio anyway) and then I replaced the servo with a used one and it still acts the same. Other weird symptom: to get the cruise dash light to come on I have to press On, then Set, then Off, then ON, then set again for the light to even come on. Sometimes it'll set speed but if I go down a hill, it speeds up but doesn't go back to original setting.

No, I haven't got it fixed yet. Before the snow hit here in November, it was working again. Now that the roads are constantly icy, I don't ever drive with the cruise control on. I'll have to wait until April to try it out again.

No, I haven't got it fixed yet. Before the snow hit here in November, it was working again. Now that the roads are constantly icy, I don't ever drive with the cruise control on. I'll have to wait until April to try it out again.

Just realized ur from AK. I'm from AL...abbreviations are 1 letter different but very different climates. Send some of that snow down here. My 13-yr-old daughter has never experienced anything other than a light dusting of snow.

Anyway, if I figure out what's wrong w/ my cruise, I'll try to post. If April rolls around & u haven't seen anything from me, bump this thread.

Just realized ur from AK. I'm from AL...abbreviations are 1 letter different but very different climates. Send some of that snow down here. My 13-yr-old daughter has never experienced anything other than a light dusting of snow.

Anyway, if I figure out what's wrong w/ my cruise, I'll try to post. If April rolls around & u haven't seen anything from me, bump this thread.

I will! I'm from Oklahoma originally. Been through Alabama quite a few times. I've heard that this cruise control issue might be a brake switch and harness on the master cylinder. I bought them, just haven't installed them yet. I might do that if I get a chance. I'd like to wait and see if the cruise control still messes up though.

I had a brake fuse go bad on my 02 and in the investigating found that my brake switch was also sticking. I went to the Ford dealer to get some info since I was 500 miles from home at the time and they said a lot of switches go bad, there are electronic and mechanical versions of the same switch. A little lube spray seemed to fix mine.

Interesting you have an 02. After this incident I got a recall notice for my 02 saying the emergency cruise control switch located on the brake master should be replaced because because it can leak and cause an engine fire. It may be this redundant switch that is causing the problem. At least it would be a free solution. That emergency switch didn't work for me. When I lost the brake fuse, pressing the brake only caused the engine to speed up!

I will! I'm from Oklahoma originally. Been through Alabama quite a few times. I've heard that this cruise control issue might be a brake switch and harness on the master cylinder. I bought them, just haven't installed them yet. I might do that if I get a chance. I'd like to wait and see if the cruise control still messes up though.

After reading this & other threads, I just ordered the brake pressure switch, too, from the O' ($15). I'll let u know if it works. It should. I've replaced everything else.

I had a brake fuse go bad on my 02 and in the investigating found that my brake switch was also sticking. I went to the Ford dealer to get some info since I was 500 miles from home at the time and they said a lot of switches go bad, there are electronic and mechanical versions of the same switch. A little lube spray seemed to fix mine.

Interesting you have an 02. After this incident I got a recall notice for my 02 saying the emergency cruise control switch located on the brake master should be replaced because because it can leak and cause an engine fire. It may be this redundant switch that is causing the problem. At least it would be a free solution. That emergency switch didn't work for me. When I lost the brake fuse, pressing the brake only caused the engine to speed up!

I started having problems w/ the cruise prior to getting the time to take it for the recall. I thought it might be a free fix, too, so when I carried it to them, I assumed they'd replace the emergency cc switch. The cruise problem didn't go away afterward & service ticket said prob the servo, so I replaced it with a used one w/o luck. After reading threads, I decided to call them and they said they only installed a fused harness, not a new switch. They only replace the switch for the recall if it's leaking.

OK, I replaced the brake pressure switch (#SW6350) and the cruise is working!! When I disconnected the wire harness from the old one, I noticed brake fluid on the inside of it. The dealership should've replaced it when they did the harness change for the recall, but didn't. Instead, they told me the servo was bad and sent me on a wild goose chase. Think they were trying to make a little extra $$, if u know what I mean. :mad:

The only problem now is that the CST (coast) button doesn't work on the "new" steering wheel control pad that I bought from someone on E-bay. For only $40, I thought it was too good to be true. I'm gonna swap out my old one just to be sure. The cruise buttons worked on the old one but not the radio buttons.

Looks like I need to slop some brake fluid on mine a couple of weeks before I take it in so they replace the switch. Checked my connector and it isn't leaking

OK, I replaced the brake pressure switch (#SW6350) and the cruise is working!! When I disconnected the wire harness from the old one, I noticed brake fluid on the inside of it. The dealership should've replaced it when they did the harness change for the recall, but didn't. Instead, they told me the servo was bad and sent me on a wild goose chase. Think they were trying to make a little extra $$, if u know what I mean. :mad:

The only problem now is that the CST (coast) button doesn't work on the "new" steering wheel control pad that I bought from someone on E-bay. For only $40, I thought it was too good to be true. I'm gonna swap out my old one just to be sure. The cruise buttons worked on the old one but not the radio buttons.

Update: I put my original cc button pad back on and everything's working now. :thumbsup: The e-bay seller did me right by refunding my money and just told me to keep the switch (he had it in stock for 2 yrs, so its contacts were prob corroded.)

Looks like I need to slop some brake fluid on mine a couple of weeks before I take it in so they replace the switch. Checked my connector and it isn't leaking

I wouldn't recommend it, especially not 2 weeks beforehand. I think that's what was causing the fires that resulted in the recall. The brake fluid was shorting out the wires. I may have been fortunate not to have a fire. On second thought, if the fire would've happened in a parking lot w/ no one around, Ford would've been paying up :D

Back