Livernois tune experience | Page 8 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Livernois tune experience

Thanks for your reply. When coming out of turns, when I hit WOT, it sometimes stumbles for a second or two before getting power. The dealer has already replaced my Throttle body. Still could recreate the problem afterward. No indicator lights when this happens. On a hunch, I disabled traction control and over multiple wot launches, coming out of turns I have been unable to recreate the issue. Upon re-enabling traction control I was able to recreate the issue almost immediately. I was wondering if this is the "turn bog" he speaks of.
I don't have a solution for you, but just wanted to perhaps reassure (not that this is all that reassuring, haha) you the 'delay' you're speaking of isn't just TT related. My 3.5NA will do this occasionally, normally at the most inopportune times.

Last edited:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

For those of you with the tune, did you have any issues getting warranty work done (whether flashed back to stock or tune intact)?

Dear Livernois, One final question and I think I'm ready to buy a tune. My dog often rides with me in the Explorer and she's getting old so I always turn the selector to "Snow" mode so it softens the gas pedal response so she's not tossed around as much. Will the "Snow" mode operate any differently after the tune?

Thanks!

Tony

I don't think @Livernois is going to respond. They haven't been on the forum since November of last year and they're no longer a sponsor of the site. Which is a shame, because he/she was very helpful.

Oh wow, I was not aware of that. Yes, that's a huge bummer for all of us.

Does anyone know why? Peter?

Tony

except for a Dodge Durango SRT. He passed me, I overtook him and then he matched up with me and I kept up with him speed for speed for about 5 miles then I had to slow down. He gave me a thumbs up as he kept driving though so I thought that was pretty cool :p
Think you meant Jeep, theres no Durango SRT lol. Miss my modded SRT-8 Jeep.

Brain fart, your right, they just launched for '18. Miss my '14 SRT-8 Jeep, almost s/c it.

Brain fart, your right, they just launched for '18. Miss my '14 SRT-8 Jeep, almost s/c it.

It isn't available yet though so I doubt that is what he was running against.

Ka-pow baby, that's what I'm talk'n about :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Couldn't wait. Loaded the v3 93 perf tune and went for a drive. Here's the before and after. Both just flooring it from dead stop in 'D', 'normal' mode, no powerbraking, no anything special. In my dead stock Explo Sport with ~5,200 miles, the LMS 93 perf tune shaved exactly .5 sec off of my 0-60 times. "before tune" on the left. "after tune" on the right (ignore all the other stats, I was only after the 0-60 time) :

160372435.gif

What you don't see in the numbers above is the change in driveability. Much less torque steer and much less of what I refer to as 'interference vectoring' by the fwd portion of the awd powertrain. It seems the rear wheels are getting more power sooner in normal mode and the shifts are now as close as they can get to our S5's DCS. Upshifts are BANG, bang, bang under WOT, but nice and smooth (but still crisp and firm) under normal driving. Still no rev match on downshifts, but hey, I'm a happy camper.

The 1-2 upshift under WOT is brutal, the other WOT upshifts are perfect. If the 1-2 WOT doesn't soften up a little as the trans relearns, I may ask Jaimie for a programming change. Or maybe not. I'll just use it judiciously (or not).

EDIT 17jun15 : the 1-2 shift has leveled out. All is well now. Nice firm upshifts 1-6 now with no drama. Perfect

I hope the 'turn bog' is gone. I couldn't induce it tonite, but there were our guys in blue all over the place, so I was taking it easy. Time will tell.

Powering out of a low speed 90 degree turn on dry pavement can now invoke the nanny mode in "normal". Finally it's a driver.

Bottom line - why did I wait so long? The only time the stock tune will ever go back on is if I need it to pass emissions testing in Harris county and NYS!

More to come regarding the PC and tuner load process, what happens to your readiness monitors (hint - they reset), etc.

Looking forward to the drive to work tomorrow.
Do you know if this will connect to the NAV display via blue tooth on my 2016 Explorer Sport?
That would be a great large screen display if it is capable of doing so?

Do you know if this will connect to the NAV display via blue tooth on my 2016 Explorer Sport?
That would be a great large screen display if it is capable of doing so?
Hopefully you won't have to wait too long for a reply. FYI, the member was last here April 22nd.

Peter

>...member [Jamie] was last here April 22nd.

And no longer works at Livernois either.

I bought my Livernois tune on the 18th, received the tuning box the 23rd, sent them the info that day and I'm still waiting for my tune. They said my calibration is newer and they need their head calibrator to work on a tune for me. I'm a returning customer of theirs, but I'm not very impressed with the service thus far. I was told I may need to wait up to three days which was yesterday and when I checked today, they now have no ETA. They just said they'll check in with the guy in between dyno tuning sessions and for me to be patient. Awesome!

Not sure what is happening with them. They are no longer a site vendor and their last post in the Forum was November 18, 2016.

I bought my Livernois tune on the 18th, received the tuning box the 23rd, sent them the info that day and I'm still waiting for my tune. They said my calibration is newer and they need their head calibrator to work on a tune for me. I'm a returning customer of theirs, but I'm not very impressed with the service thus far. I was told I may need to wait up to three days which was yesterday and when I checked today, they now have no ETA. They just said they'll check in with the guy in between dyno tuning sessions and for me to be patient. Awesome!
Not sure what is happening with them. They are no longer a site vendor and their last post in the Forum was November 18, 2016.

Figured I'd give my experience. I ordered my tuner last month. Emailed them for the tune and didn't hear back, so I called them two days later. They then emailed me my tunes later that day after the phone call.

A week ago I emailed them asking to adjust the shift firmness on the tune. They responded within hours saying that they hadn't had a request to go softer on the shifting, so they'd have to have the calibrator guy make a new one for me. They said it'd take a week but had it to me in two days.

Other than the initial wait, I've found that they've been very responsive to my inquiries and requests. Anthony also spent a good amount of time on the phone explaining my options.

I got my 3BAR + 160 stat tune on Tuesday, but it didn't include the change in tire size for my 15 PIU Ecoboost. It took a couple more days to get the revised tunes with the adjusted tire size. I didn't know the first tunes didn't have the tire correction until I verified with GPS my speedometer was still off.

Overall, I'm happy with the tune. I first loaded the 89 Performance tune and it was good. Today when I flashed it, I went with the 91 Performance tune. The only thing which I may work with them on is softening up the 1-2 and 2-3 shifts. I'll put another hundred miles on the Explorer before pushing on that though. I'm just happy my speedometer is now spot on.

It will bark the tires on the 1-2 shift and it downright hauls ass. One thing that I would say to PIU Ecoboost owners (and they are pretty rare), is that don't expect as much of a difference when compared to a retail Explorer Sport. The PIU has a much more aggressive shift schedule stock, and that's normally the one thing I've noticed most when tuning my Ford vehicles. In this case, it's not much different, other than firmer. I think it's actually shifting sooner, which to me isn't a bad thing. The power increase is significant and it's very linear. Plus if you baby it, you wouldn't know there is any change from stock. Anything over 1/8th throttle lets you know that something has changed. :)

Getting to 60 with light throttle is effortless and I'm pretty sure my MPG is up. I'll put a few hundred miles on it and report back. Overall, I really only wanted to fix my speedometer, since it was about 5% off. I'll probably end up running the 87 or 89 tune long term, since I really wasn't going for a real performance boost and I'd rather not abuse the powertrain. It's an SUV and I have a 17 Shelby GT350 if I want to haul ass. :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I got my 3BAR + 160 stat tune on Tuesday, but it didn't include the change in tire size for my 15 PIU Ecoboost. It took a couple more days to get the revised tunes with the adjusted tire size. I didn't know the first tunes didn't have the tire correction until I verified with GPS my speedometer was still off.

Overall, I'm happy with the tune. I first loaded the 89 Performance tune and it was good. Today when I flashed it, I went with the 91 Performance tune. The only thing which I may work with them on is softening up the 1-2 and 2-3 shifts. I'll put another hundred miles on the Explorer before pushing on that though. I'm just happy my speedometer is now spot on.

It will bark the tires on the 1-2 shift and it downright hauls ass. One thing that I would say to PIU Ecoboost owners (and they are pretty rare), is that don't expect as much of a difference when compared to a retail Explorer Sport. The PIU has a much more aggressive shift schedule stock, and that's normally the one thing I've noticed most when tuning my Ford vehicles. In this case, it's not much different, other than firmer. I think it's actually shifting sooner, which to me isn't a bad thing. The power increase is significant and it's very linear. Plus if you baby it, you wouldn't know there is any change from stock. Anything over 1/8th throttle lets you know that something has changed. :)

Getting to 60 with light throttle is effortless and I'm pretty sure my MPG is up. I'll put a few hundred miles on it and report back. Overall, I really only wanted to fix my speedometer, since it was about 5% off. I'll probably end up running the 87 or 89 tune long term, since I really wasn't going for a real performance boost and I'd rather not abuse the powertrain. It's an SUV and I have a 17 Shelby GT350 if I want to haul ass. :)
What State you in? Can you do the 93 oct tune?

Back