Livernois tune experience | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Livernois tune experience

Curious, did you purchase the 60mo/60k mileage extended warranty coverage on the tuner ? Mike
No I did not purchased the 5 star warranty
Have had no trouble with any of the 7 tuned ecoboost vehicles I have owned Saw no reason to spend the extra money for the warranty

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

No I did not purchased the 5 star warranty
Have had no trouble with any of the 7 tuned ecoboost vehicles I have owned Saw no reason to spend the extra money for the warranty
Thank you sir. I appreciate the feedback. Mike

After having the tune for a week the transmission has started to smooth out. The power is defiantly noticeable, without any hard numbers you can tell the power band has changed. For some detail's; at medium throttle the transmission holds the gear until the RPM reaches 2.5-3k. At 50-55MPH it will shift into 10 gear. When you are in "Sport" mode all bets are off, it really wakes up. I have a couple of safe roads, that it will surprise me how fast you can get up to speed!!! The drag strip opens up in March, I will be able to get some hard numbers, with and with out the tune. As unexpected bonus my gas mileage has increased by 2MPG from 18 to 20 in the city. I have not had a chance for a good Hwy check yet. Overall I am happy with my decision.
Jeff

I agree with above. After a couple of weeks the transmission has smoothed out and Sport mode really is a SPORT mode. I too saw an increase in mileage, but my commutes are so short I am only getting 17-18 mpg in town. (2-3 mile drives).

Third vehicle with a Livernois tune, and again, I'm very happy with the results.

Does Livernois offer a CAI for better exterior sound coming from the engine? Maybe it can save another 1 or 2 mpg.

Tuned by (and shoutout to) Livernois

After picking the ST up from the detail shop with it's new paint protection film and ceramic, it was time to install the @Livernois tune.

First want to give a shoutout to Anthony at Livernois for answering all of my technical questions here on the forum before I decided to buy and then for getting my tune request processed quickly. A+ service!

Now on to the tune....holy cow! It's almost crazy to me that Ford left this much performance on the table just so the ST could run regular gas. I've tuned the last 2 cars I had, an 08 Impala SS and a 14 Charger R/T. This is by far the most dramatic improvement. I think the SS would've been better if the transmission hadn't been made out of laffy taffy.

Throttle response and acceleration are both drastically better without being twitchy. I am going to withhold commenting on the shifts until the TCM settles back down. They're always rough after a tune or battery pull reset.

Easily the best $500 I'll invest in improving the fun factor of the car!

Now to explore FORSCAN...

Totally agree, I have it on my ST and am very pleased with it. Really wakes the car up and the performance difference is quite noticable. Definitely a bargain for the current sale price.

The 'Excite' (Sport) mode is plenty enough for me. ;)

Peter

Tuned by (and shoutout to) Livernois

After picking the ST up from the detail shop with it's new paint protection film and ceramic, it was time to install the @Livernois tune.

First want to give a shoutout to Anthony at Livernois for answering all of my technical questions here on the forum before I decided to buy and then for getting my tune request processed quickly. A+ service!

Now on to the tune....holy cow! It's almost crazy to me that Ford left this much performance on the table just so the ST could run regular gas. I've tuned the last 2 cars I had, an 08 Impala SS and a 14 Charger R/T. This is by far the most dramatic improvement. I think the SS would've been better if the transmission hadn't been made out of laffy taffy.

Throttle response and acceleration are both drastically better without being twitchy. I am going to withhold commenting on the shifts until the TCM settles back down. They're always rough after a tune or battery pull reset.

Easily the best $500 I'll invest in improving the fun factor of the car!

Now to explore FORSCAN...

Totally agree, I have it on my ST and am very pleased with it. Really wakes the car up and the performance difference is quite noticable. Definitely a bargain for the current sale price.

Thank you very much for the kind words guys! Glad to hear everyone's been enjoying the tunes and our service as well. They definitely leave quite a bit of performance on the table , that is for sure. Makes custom tuning even more beneficial though! :)

Have had the Livernois tune for a couple of weeks now. It is just what I wanted. Noticeably faster and drives great. I've had tuners on other cars and think the Livernois tune is a great value, especially at their sale price. Don't really care that the tuner is locked to the car or that I can't use the device for any other car/tune. It's worth the price as is. I was thinking about that auto/start stop eliminator device at one point, and I'm glad I didn't get it because Livernois has deactivated it. I received the device on a Saturday and was able to download the two tunes available on Tuesday. Recommended!

Now that I've 5K on the new ST, it's time for an oil change and tune. ;)

Just remember Livernois is only good for your vehicle and when you sell it or trade it the tuner and tunes are useless, you have a paper weight.

My 2017 Livernois Tuner is a complete waste of money now, never again.

Look elsewhere for an ethical tuner that doesn't lock the tunes to the vehicle.

More than pleased with the Livernois. For the price of admission ($500) it is a good value. I thought they might just not update their tunes as time goes by seeing how the Explorer is not exactly a performance platform but this turned out NOT to be the case. They have updated their tunes and even have a higher performing "stage 4" tune now. I find the trans tuning to be great although the 1-2 and sometimes 2-3 shifts can be rough and "lurchy" but nothing that wasn't already present using the stock calibration. Wish they would show gear all the time like HP Tuners can do but hopefully some day they might figure it out.

As for having the device locked to your vehicle. It's a trade off. There are plenty of instances where people have switched vehicles and used their Livernois device on their new vehicle simply by sending the device in and paying a nominal fee. I personally have found their customer service to be excellent, responding to my queries usually the next day or sooner. I like that other than downloading the app on your PC, updating your device with new firmware or new maps is automatic--just connect to your PC and hit update.

More than pleased with the Livernois. For the price of admission ($500) it is a good value. I thought they might just not update their tunes as time goes by seeing how the Explorer is not exactly a performance platform but this turned out NOT to be the case. They have updated their tunes and even have a higher performing "stage 4" tune now. I find the trans tuning to be great although the 1-2 and sometimes 2-3 shifts can be rough and "lurchy" but nothing that wasn't already present using the stock calibration. Wish they would show gear all the time like HP Tuners can do but hopefully some day they might figure it out.

As for having the device locked to your vehicle. It's a trade off. There are plenty of instances where people have switched vehicles and used their Livernois device on their new vehicle simply by sending the device in and paying a nominal fee. I personally have found their customer service to be excellent, responding to my queries usually the next day or sooner. I like that other than downloading the app on your PC, updating your device with new firmware or new maps is automatic--just connect to your PC and hit update.
You can send your old device in and pay a nominal fee and get your new vehicle tunes?......can you attach a link to that offer because I haven't seen that offer on their website. Previously you would have to purchase a new device all over again and it's not a nominal fee considering other vendors simply charge you for some new tunes without the charge for new hardware.

I'd rather pay the same price for a tuner that can data log, have tuner watch the logs, make adjustments and can tune as many vehicles as I want to use it on all for the cost of the additional tune with no new hardware.

I don't want to extract every last bit of performance. I have no issues with a canned tune over a custom tune. I just expect a decent amount of power that is seemless, and value the trans tuning and and all the other features. Certainly more than one tuner is able to provide that, but apparently not all.

You can send your old device in and pay a nominal fee and get your new vehicle tunes?......can you attach a link to that offer because I haven't seen that offer on their website. Previously you would have to purchase a new device all over again and it's not a nominal fee considering other vendors simply charge you for some new tunes without the charge for new hardware.
I haven't looked into it but that's what people are posting in the forums. I believe Ive seen three separate people post that. IIRC, the cost mentioned was $20. If you have a device from another vehicle you no longer use with it, why not open a ticket on their website and ask?

I haven't looked into it but that's what people are posting in the forums. I believe Ive seen three separate people post that. IIRC, the cost mentioned was $20. If you have a device from another vehicle you no longer use with it, why not open a ticket on their website and ask?

I did, it's worth $100 towards a completely new device. So that's $400., hardley a nominal fee.

Why do the rest of the tuner vendors make you buy the hardware once and then pay for tunes as you go or change vehicles?.......that seems reasonable.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I did, it's worth $100 towards a completely new device. So that's $400., hardley a nominal fee.

Why do the rest of the tuner vendors make you buy the hardware once and then pay for tunes as you go or change vehicles?.......that seems reasonable.
Sorry to hear. Maybe the old MyCalibrator device can no longer be used with the new Explorer? Pretty sure others have gotten tunes for the ST for pretty much free but they might have already been using the MyCalibrator Touch device from their other vehicle. I just don't know.

I've been changing vehicle makes (Subaru, BMW, Infiniti) the past 25 years so the chance of using the same device was nil. I also don't plan on moving on from the Explorer or tuning another car for the next 5 years so my need to use the same device is extremely low. I have always paid $500-650 for a tune/device and have never had the opportunity to re-use the device. That's fine with me. That said, if Livernois had the option to use HP TUNERS MPVI2, I certainly would be willing to pay more for that.

Back