• Register Today It's free!

Loaded Struts

MattME

Reaction score
City, State
Buffalo,Mn
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Explorer Xlt 4x4 v8
Hello!New member here from Mn.2006 xlt v8 4x4.I am looking for anyones thoughts on the quick strut assemblies available as I have been having issues.I purchased 4 new Monroe quick struts Sept 21 from rock auto -this summer truck was all over the road tires worn badly.Diagnosise front 2 struts leaking oil,rear2 weak(24,000 mile useage)The alignment shop I went to said the Monroe are junk,they wont install them on any vehicle.They said get the Motorcraft or KYB.So I got 2 kyb front from rockauto,and 2 motorcraft rear(they did not have kyb rear instock so motorcraft it was).Now 4000 miles since I install the new assemblies I notice my rear tire wearing funny and sure enough a brand new Motorcraft assembly is leaking.I will get another Motorcraft under warranty from rockauto but I am getting tired of doing this job,not to mention the set of tires that have been trashed.I have zero trust in any of them after all of this and will need new tires soon and I hate to ruin another set.I dont offroad other than the frozen lakes in the winter,I do haul a 16 ft aluminum boat quite often on the freeway. Has anyone else had trouble with these brands of assemblies?Anyone with troubled parts from rockauto?Its wholly possible I have bad luck and am getting bad parts but this seems excessive to me.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Iam running on rockauto front motorcraft struts for 30000 miles with no issues

The rears are Sachs also from rockauto

As for the tire wear,the shop should consentrate on weared control arms bushings rather than a defective struts.

Iam running on rockauto front motorcraft struts for 30000 miles with no issues

The rears are Sachs also from rockauto

As for the tire wear,the shop should consentrate on weared control arms bushings rather than a defective struts.
Thank You.Correct on the control arm bushings as they were worn also and the shop pointed that out,I forgot to add that in my original post.After their inspection I replaced control arms and all 4 struts.I then went back to the shop and had them do a 4 wheel alignment,all was good until the other day when I noticed one of my rear tires was wearing funny.Looked under the truck at all struts and sure enough the new Motorcraft strut on that tire/side is leaking oil.I will get another one install it and see what happens,maybe I just received a bad one.I have never owned a vehicle with struts and have never had an issue with any brand of shocks I have put on previous vehicles thats why I thought I would ask after all of this trouble.3 leaking struts of 2 different brands within 30,000 miles seems like alot to me.If these dont keep working i may have to go a different route and buy a better strut I guess just thought that the Motorcraft would be a solid choice.Thanks for your time.

I just re-did all of my struts less than a year ago, but had to use the NAPA Premium which are supposedly the same as Monroe. They work, but am not totally happy with the ride since then.

Hello!New member here from Mn.2006 xlt v8 4x4.I am looking for anyones thoughts on the quick strut assemblies available as I have been having issues.I purchased 4 new Monroe quick struts Sept 21 from rock auto -this summer truck was all over the road tires worn badly.Diagnosise front 2 struts leaking oil,rear2 weak(24,000 mile useage)The alignment shop I went to said the Monroe are junk,they wont install them on any vehicle.They said get the Motorcraft or KYB.So I got 2 kyb front from rockauto,and 2 motorcraft rear(they did not have kyb rear instock so motorcraft it was).Now 4000 miles since I install the new assemblies I notice my rear tire wearing funny and sure enough a brand new Motorcraft assembly is leaking.I will get another Motorcraft under warranty from rockauto but I am getting tired of doing this job,not to mention the set of tires that have been trashed.I have zero trust in any of them after all of this and will need new tires soon and I hate to ruin another set.I dont offroad other than the frozen lakes in the winter,I do haul a 16 ft aluminum boat quite often on the freeway. Has anyone else had trouble with these brands of assemblies?Anyone with troubled parts from rockauto?Its wholly possible I have bad luck and am getting bad parts but this seems excessive to me.
I installed two KYB front strut assemblies in March of this year and have had no problems thus far. The vehicle rides great. However, I got them through Autozone with the same lifetime warranty so I have a physical location I can go to in the event of warranty issues.

Thanks for the info guys! Installed the new assembly on Sunday.Have towed the boat 500miles this week and it seems good,no leaks so far.I have never owned a vehicle with independant rear suspension and struts/springs on it so I cannot compare the ride to anything else.That being said this explorer does not feel like it has as solid of a ride as other explorers and rangers I have owned.

Back