2010 EB strut replacement | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2010 EB strut replacement

Art Tonucci

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2010 Eddie bauer
At 100k miles ready for new struts. Had a shock when dealer quoted 1300.00. Independent wanted 1200.00 using Monroe quick struts.
So I purchased on line complete struts from a company called Unity.
Total cost $247.00 including freight. Arrived today after 4 days and they look good.
I'll be the forums huckleberry, and report on ease of install and quality of ride etc.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'll be interested to hear how it goes. I'm at a little over 100K also, & am starting to think about shocks/struts.

Have the Monroe Quick struts on my Exp for a few years now.
You can notice a improvement from the original struts, but it's still a truck.
My Exp is lightly loaded most of the time with just me onboard and it will have a firm ride.
When the load increases can notice a softer Ride.

Tires might make a difference also.

I personally like a softer ride all the time, but it is a SUV.

Replaced the front sway bar bushings and end links recently and that helped with the handling.

I replaced all four of mine within the last month with Monroe Quick Struts. Did the front one weekend and the rear the next. Could have done both same weekend, but didn't feel like over doing it. I followed the steps in my Ford service manual. With the front set, the more difficult part was getting the old ones out. The rear was more difficult to get the new ones in. Was a little bit of a fight to get the rear lower control arm back on. Not that bad of a job, even with a vehicle that lived its life in Michigan and 117,000 miles.

The ride quality was much better (smoother and softer) Still rides more like a truck than a car, but much better than it was. The biggest impact in ride quality was from the front. Not much noticeable change after replacing the rear.

Just my observations.

I'm also watching. I was thinking about this the other day with my Ex only 3K away from 100K. I haven't really noticed a decline in handling or ride quality since I got it at 19K 9 years ago but I'm also aware that these changes happen so slowly that you just tend to get used to the new 'normal'.

Strut replacements aren't bad, or hard at all. I'm more interested in the non-quicklift ranchos for when I do mine here soon. I might just go with rockauto though and use Monroe's.

You have all discussed installing the complete quick-strut assembly. Is that because you have 4x4 or AWD vehicles? The reason I ask is that my Sport Trac is 2WD, and the Monroe web site only shows just the struts for 2WD, and the complete quick-strut/spring assembly for 4WD/AWD. Would the quick-strut assembly fit a 2WD model? If so, are there any benefits to be gained by installing the complete quick-strut/spring assembly instead of just the struts?

Another question: Is it necessary to also install the Strut-Mate Strut Mounting Kit Front-907937/Rear-907940 when installing these struts or complete quick-strut/spring parts?

You have all discussed installing the complete quick-strut assembly. Is that because you have 4x4 or AWD vehicles? The reason I ask is that my Sport Trac is 2WD, and the Monroe web site only shows just the struts for 2WD, and the complete quick-strut/spring assembly for 4WD/AWD. Would the quick-strut assembly fit a 2WD model? If so, are there any benefits to be gained by installing the complete quick-strut/spring assembly instead of just the struts?

Another question: Is it necessary to also install the Strut-Mate Strut Mounting Kit Front-907937/Rear-907940 when installing these struts or complete quick-strut/spring parts?
I'm not familiar with the Strut mate mounting kit. The complete strut is literally a COMPLETE strut that bolts into the lower joint and upper housing and it's DONE. I wouldn't see why it wouldn't fit on a 2wd? The CVs don't really get in the way of anything on a 4WD.

I'm not familiar with the Strut mate mounting kit. The complete strut is literally a COMPLETE strut that bolts into the lower joint and upper housing and it's DONE. I wouldn't see why it wouldn't fit on a 2wd? The CVs don't really get in the way of anything on a 4WD.

Is a spring compressor required to install the complete quick strut/spring assembly?

Is a spring compressor required to install the complete quick strut/spring assembly?
No, however I do suggest a floor jack to push up on the A arm for better leverage and easy bolting

We were able to get all four done the same day along with the two front upper swing arms. Monroe Quick struts. The past 15,000 miles the ride has improved tremendously.

No, however I do suggest a floor jack to push up on the A arm for better leverage and easy bolting

Thanks for all of the info, Doc. And thanks for serving, Shipmate!

ET1(SW) USN (retired)

Those of you who have replaced your struts with quick-struts, did you notice the rear ride height went up? I did mine last fall (haven't even put 5000 miles on since then though) and the rear is higher than I remember. I had started another thread earlier in the week coincidentally asking what people's rear ride heights are and mine is about an inch higher than those who responded. I didn't read my service manual before starting the project as it was straight forward and I missed the part about measuring curb height before you started.

Seems like it is slightly higher when they are new, but after awhile you don't notice it.

The rear was slightly higher but I have the third row seats full of kids. After 5K, the springs seems to have settled back to normal.

Those of you who have replaced your struts with quick-struts, did you notice the rear ride height went up? I did mine last fall (haven't even put 5000 miles on since then though) and the rear is higher than I remember. I had started another thread earlier in the week coincidentally asking what people's rear ride heights are and mine is about an inch higher than those who responded. I didn't read my service manual before starting the project as it was straight forward and I missed the part about measuring curb height before you started.
Replacing your old worn out ones, the springs and struts will sag the older they get. Newer ones are stiffer and sit at stock length. Thus being a smidge taller

I'm back finally the rain stopped and got the job done.
The UNITY complete strut assemblies arrived in 4 days, for 247.00 free shipping. They fit like a glove. Greatly improved ride and handling in 2010 Eddie Bauer. Have to give these two thumbs up.

So what made you replace them ? Leaking , ride quality ?
I am at 244 k miles on original ones and see no issues with them yet.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back