Locating a coolant leak, making a hissing sound. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Locating a coolant leak, making a hissing sound.

Matt98svt

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 Eddie Bauer v6 4.0
Ok so I have a 2007 EB 4.0L that has recently sprung a coolant leak. i just noticed the coolant smell with the car running tonight before I changed the oil. When I looked under the hood there was coolant slung all around the front of the motor where the fan has spread it . I replaced the thermostat housing about a year ago and it seems fine, no coolant around it or in the intake valley. The radiator I replaced with one from amazon about a year ago too after the factory one cracked where ford uses the cheap plastic tops on the 4.0 radiator. As far as I know the water pump is original. When I turn the car off I can hear a hissing sound for about 15 seconds which I figured would take me right to the source but it is allusive. The fan shield is so tight I can’t tell where it is coming from. I get underneath the car but dont see any steam and again can’t pinpoint the source of the hissing. Any tips to help locate a leak like this?

the last time this happened to me it was the tiny 2 inch hose under the housing and the manifold.... i think its called the by pass hose

Advance auto rents a pressure tester with a deposit. Pressurize to 21 psi. (I believe these are 20 psi cars)

Back